restart

mcfelpe

Baseband Member
does anyone have an idea why my computer restarts without prompting, specially if i open softwares such as adobe cs, dreamweaver and even microsoft word. I personally think that my motherboard cant handle it anymore thats why it automatically restarts. or is there any incompatibility in my system. my computer is P4 1.7ghz, 128 and 256 mb ddr 266 ram, geforce2 400mx videocard, 2 seagate hardrives and 2 cdroms.

replies pls... thanks

Could be a few thins, a driver conflict or a virus or a heat issue, have you installed any new software prior to this happening? deleted any or removed any files that may have been needed on your system, have you scan your PC for threats?, check your system temps to see if your PC running hot, are you OC , you may have made your system unstable, run memtest to check your rams not faulty. do you have problems booting up sometimes?

Sounds like it could be either overheating, memory trouble or how powerfull is your power supply?

how powerfull is your power supply?
Precisely, instantaneous power offs are usually caused by a faulty psu, overheating memory will usually bring a blue screen error, and an overheating cpu will usually bring throttling so your psu would be my first thing to look at.

thanks for the reply guys, i have this problem since 2005, actually this is a pretty old system I have, I assembled it last 2003 and up to now i dont have any major hardware upgrades except for the dvd rom. I tried to clean everything inside my CPU, including fans and etc. but I remember once when i cleaned the processor, i try to wipe the thermal paste and I didnt put any thermal paste back when i return the processor to its socket. another problem that im having right now aside from restarting is that i cannot open sites that have shockwaves, like when I open ESPN.com, my mozilla with crash, same with Explorer, i already installed flash player in my computer. i think its much better if ill just throw this computer to the garbage, heheheh. is this a memory issue? or a videocard issue...

If you took off the thermal paste and didn't put any back on, the CPU is probably overheating...

But my brother has this same problem, system randomly shuts off and restarts. We've replaced a whole bunch of stuff including the PSU and it still does it. One of my last hopes was to take the CPU out and straighten all the pins as some are a little bent, but they fit inside the socket. I haven't heard back from my brother yet as to if it fixed it, but some pins were a little bit far off place. The only other thing to look at is software conflicts...

maybe your memory is so low it just will not run any of your programs, you said you had adoba, well i have used adoba for a good 4-5 years and you need very good memory to run the application

Back
Top Bottom