Respecing character in Skyrim? Can it be done

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My GF said some thing that main be cry out "Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!" again. One again she has sunk a lot of hours in to a character on Skyrim however, however once again the character is not going the way she wants it to go. So she is looking at restarting the game..... again.....
This is rather painful for me as I normally have to watch her loot the **** out of the remains of Helgen, beat the **** out of that bard in Whiterum and befriend Farengar to retrieve golden claw for Lucan. As you can see, I do not even play the game and yet I can early recall the first few hours of game play.

Anyways this morning she was complaining about how her character is own again getting dead in areas which she would normally not getting deaded in. I know that you can change your character's appearance, however is there any way in which you can respect your character's skills and talents?

Skyrim: How to respec your character - YouTube

BEWARE of possible spoilers, I haven't played Dragonborn but I watched it regardless... I don't believe there was a spoiler but a warning nontheless.

Other than the Dragonborn DLC, there is apparently no way to respect unless you go the MOD route.

EDIT:
That is painful to watch someone play the same area over and over and...over. How are you still sane? o_O

She could you know, go train. I don't see how restarting with a level 1 character will help? If she winds up in the same situation each time then that means she needs to progress her skills and start training in what she wants to keep around. Like one handed weapons, or destruction spells.

She could you know, go train. I don't see how restarting with a level 1 character will help? If she winds up in the same situation each time then that means she needs to progress her skills and start training in what she wants to keep around. Like one handed weapons, or destruction spells.

I am going to assume she starts leveling every skill a little so her level goes up rapidly but her main skills stay relatively low. This will lead to trouble spots.

I know I had a buddy do that by finding a slight bug and abused it to get 100 speech within the first 30 minutes of starting a new character. He did it so prices would be cheap and got a nice little boost to Stamina and HP and such... but he failed to realize that monsters leveled with him and his primary skills for attack were still at base levels. I laughed xD

I am going to assume she starts leveling every skill a little so her level goes up rapidly but her main skills stay relatively low. This will lead to trouble spots.

I know I had a buddy do that by finding a slight bug and abused it to get 100 speech within the first 30 minutes of starting a new character. He did it so prices would be cheap and got a nice little boost to Stamina and HP and such... but he failed to realize that monsters leveled with him and his primary skills for attack were still at base levels. I laughed xD
Maybe it's me, but it appears it would be common sense to raise your attacking ability due to the nature of the game and how its level system works. Granted, I used to do the same stuff as your buddy but it was only for fun to find exploits. Like, having level 100 blacksmithing before even leaving Whiterun. Somebody who is serious about doing such things can surely go and train with a trainer in basic stuff like armor and one/two handed weapons while leveling up whatever it is they are doing.

Maybe it's me, but it appears it would be common sense to raise your attacking ability due to the nature of the game and how its level system works. Granted, I used to do the same stuff as your buddy but it was only for fun to find exploits. Like, having level 100 blacksmithing before even leaving Whiterun. Somebody who is serious about doing such things can surely go and train with a trainer in basic stuff like armor and one/two handed weapons while leveling up whatever it is they are doing.

Your right, but he wanted a house before venturing too much into the game to act as a storage place and sell more loot. But to get the house, you needed to sell (100 speech). But to get the loot to sell, you needed to kill (which he couldn't anymore).

Oh well ^_^

That sounds like the problem she is running into.
Firstly she is training up in every skill possible. Secondly, when she does have a chance to train on those skills, she goes all the way.

Sounds like the Game AI is doing this.... the game knows that you have spend a total of (say) 1000 points on your character skills. So the game is then going to turn around and throw an NPC with 1000 points back at you. Sadly you your 1000 points as been in just every thing from combat to trade. However the game NPC points have been put into "Hurting player characters"

So what you are suggesting is that she should really be concentrating on levelling up combat stills, and then others skills gradually to avoid this.

The problem is that out of all the reason for restarting and rerolling your character, the first one is
1. I have maxed out ALL my skills and the monsters are still killing me.
2. I have stopped playing skyrim for a bit, tried replaying again and forgot where I was up to.

1. Dragonborn DLC (lets you re-spec at the end of the DLC)
2. Use Console Commands: Console Commands (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki)

Specifically, the Skills subpage shows you how to use use the "player.advSkill <skill> <#>" command: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)/Skills
3. Get a mod to do it

Problem with Option 1 is that we need to get to the end of the Dragonborn DLC..... we are having a problem getting to the end of chapter 1 in the main game.

Problem with Option 2 is that she might see it as cheating.

Last edited:
Your right, but he wanted a house before venturing too much into the game to act as a storage place and sell more loot. But to get the house, you needed to sell (100 speech). But to get the loot to sell, you needed to kill (which he couldn't anymore).

Oh well ^_^
You don't need a house to store stuff. The two barrels in front of the chicks blacksmith place in Whiterun will hold everything you get. It's what I've done in every single game until just recently as the Helgen Reborn gives you a pretty boss tower.
That sounds like the problem she is running into.
Firstly she is training up in every skill possible. Secondly, when she does have a chance to train on those skills, she goes all the way.

Sounds like the Game AI is doing this.... the game knows that you have spend a total of (say) 1000 points on your character skills. So the game is then going to turn around and throw an NPC with 1000 points back at you. Sadly you your 1000 points as been in just every thing from combat to trade. However the game NPC points have been put into "Hurting player characters"

So what you are suggesting is that she should really be concentrating on levelling up combat stills, and then others skills gradually to avoid this.

The problem is that out of all the reason for restarting and rerolling your character, the first one is
1. I have maxed out ALL my skills and the monsters are still killing me.
2. I have stopped playing skyrim for a bit, tried replaying again and forgot where I was up to.

Problem with Option 1 is that we need to get to the end of the Dragonborn DLC..... we are having a problem getting to the end of chapter 1 in the main game.

Problem with Option 2 is that she might see it as cheating.
So you're saying you have your offense and defense skills, say heavy armor and one handed at 100, yet she's still getting killed? Is she using higher end upgraded weapons and armor for such levels? What difficulty is the game set at? If it's anything but adept or lower then it's just skill based really. As in skill, I mean playing the game (not trying to be rude, it's truth).

To be frank, when playing Legendary and all of my skills are maxed at level 77 I still die quite a bit. The game is just hard on harder difficulties.

Back
Top Bottom