Resources problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

azury

All Seeing Eye
I wasn't sure PC Software is the right place, maybe it is PC Hardware.. but u'll tell me! :)

So, it goes like this...
My free Resources are usually very low... after five minutes of running, it is around 50%... but after a while it usually goes down to even 10-18%. That way, my computer ain't stucking, but most of programs can't be opened ofcourse...
You are probably thinking it is because many programs are open, right? well, wrong... there are no programs that opens when startup, and I usually only use ICQ or MSN and lost of IExplorer... Mirc even.. but that's all, and it keeps going down unfotunelly...
So, what do you say the problem is??

Computer Details:
VC: G4ce 2 128Mg
RAM: 256 Mg
Proccesor: Intel Pentium II 666Mhz
I also have a Optical Mouse, An HP Scanner, an Aopen burner and a DVD player, attached.

hey chopper, I read this thread but I have some questions:
1. I have neither C:\Windows\rsrcmtr.exe nor rsrcmtr.exe on my hard drive.
2. I can't understand how this will help me... After all, I said my Free Resources are getting very low, and this tool will only tell me my Free Resources are getting low.... right?

Thanks.

Have you tested your memory, you can find utilitys to test you memory at zdnet i like to use GoldMemory v5.07. You can also try a program that recovers used memory I haven tried any yet so i have no recomendations.
Good luck

A bunch of little things chew into your system resources. Every icon in the system tray is a resource eater. Every icon on the desktop is a resource eater. And of course, every prog running in the background eats 'em up too.
You said no progs open on startup. Well to be picky, if that was the case your system never did boot up. At least Explorer is loaded. And do you have any progs running for the scanner or DVD player? If you do, they are sitting idle eating resources until you scan or play.
Any spyware running? More hidden resource hogs.
Do you ever clean out the registry? I started using Norton a minimum of once a week to optimize my system and cleaning out junk from the registry has improved resources.
One way to mimimize resource usage is when installing a prog is to say no to the choice to place an icon on your desktop and no to putting an icon in the tray, if you are given the options.
Another is to keep the number of IE windows down. I have found that using File/Close or exit instead of X close frees more resources. I think it cuts down on mem leaks.
And terminate progs after you are finished with them. Again every running prog is using its' share of resorces.
Just some thoughts because if your resources are down to 10-18% after a few minutes, you can't be re-booting every 5-10 minutes. But do re-boot peroodically. Or go up to NT or XP because they are better resource handlers.

[quate]
Every icon in the system tray is a resource eater. Every icon on the desktop is a resource eater. And of course, every prog running in the background eats 'em up too.
You said no progs open on startup. Well to be picky, if that was the case your system never did boot up. At least Explorer is loaded. And do you have any progs running for the scanner or DVD player? If you do, they are sitting idle eating resources until you scan or play.
Any spyware running? More hidden resource hogs.
Do you ever clean out the registry? I started using Norton a minimum of once a week to optimize my system and cleaning out junk from the registry has improved resources.
One way to mimimize resource usage is when installing a prog is to say no to the choice to place an icon on your desktop and no to putting an icon in the tray, if you are given the options.
Another is to keep the number of IE windows down. I have found that using File/Close or exit instead of X close frees more resources. I think it cuts down on mem leaks.
And terminate progs after you are finished with them. Again every running prog is using its' share of resorces.
[quate/]

1. No I Icon on system tray (except En->He and Voulme Controler. 2. 10 Icons on desktop. 3. No programs running at the background - well, only the progs I curently using. 4. I'm shutting down any unused program. 5. Nomore then one IE window. 6. I'm always checking down the box asking for System Icon Tray. 7. No, I'vent cleaned my registery, but I'm formating my computer every two months. 8. I dunno of any spyware opened on the background.
Well, thanks for your help, but I think these things are well-known to all. I was hoping to get a more proffesional opinion - meaning, what can be the problem, and not what I'm doing wronge.
Thanks alot.

Did you read all of the link I posted? It clearly illustrates the difference between system memory and system resources. They are commonly confused.

BTW: ICQ is a major hog, it's so increadibly bloated now that I won't even install it. MSN's not tiny either. You can consolodate all your messenger apps with something called Trillian. IE is another hog. I rarely have more than 2, or sometimes 3 open, but only when I have to. Usually it's just one. 98 itself isn't the best at managing things like memory. I was a sworn 98 user until I decided to give XP a try. I won't be changing back.

Cheers

Chopper, thanks. Yes, I have read all of the link you had posted. And thanks, now I'm aware of the difference between the system memory and system resources, though I'm yet to understand how this answers my problem. I understood all things about Resourcers eaters. I use as little as possible, and my problem is yet to be solved. for example, if I just open my computer, without working and without any programs working in the background, and leave it open for about half an hour, it's resources will apear to be empty (20% free or less). This is way I wonder if this can be a Computer problem. A hardware, not software, problem. or maybe it is windows problem, but that claim is revoked by me cause I'm formating the computer every month and a half.
I simply asked for suggestions of what the problem can be and what can be done, except dealing with resources eaters (asuming that there are no big eaters).
Thanks.

I do think it has more to do with Windows 98 than a hardware issue, since it's software that manages the resources. You'll probably end up rebooting almost every day, more if you do some more intense work with it. From what I've seen there really isn't a way to stop it aside from changing your OS, 98 has leaks in it and doesn't manage things all that efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom