resolution problems

joelminns1

Beta member
I have an acer aspire 5002WLMi laptop with integrated SiS video. I am having problems with the resolution settings. Most of the resolutions make the desktop too big for the screen. for example: when i select 1600x1200 resolution, I can only see about a quarter of the desktop at a time... I have to pan around in order to see the rest of it (make sense?). I have never seen this before. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt the desktop always just shrink to fit the screen, even if it means that the proportions are not accurate.

Is this just a characteristic of the SiS's drivers? If so, it seems highly impractical. Is there any program that can override this feature, or force the desktop to snap to the limits of the screen?

if your screen cant handle that resolution it will do that panning try a lower resolution like
1280x1040 or if its widescreen 1280x800

Thank you for the replies. I have been using 1280x800, and it works fine for the laptop... But now for my real problem (i didn't bother posting the whole spiel because i figured it would be too confusing to describe).

I have been trying to connect this laptop via VGA to a 32" Samsung LCD TV. The recommended resolution for the TV is 1360x768. First of all, the latest drivers that Acer provides, doesn't have this resolution. So I had to go here (http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?id=155932) to get the latest VGA drivers in order get 1360x768. Seems all well and good, but when i assign this resolution to the TV, the desktop fits vertically, but is too big horizontally... in fact, the only resolutions that fit the TV screen are 800x600 and 1024x768. The real pain is that no matter what resolution I assign, the image is stretched out of proportion in the horizontal direction.

To make matters even more complicated, the laptop's resolution also becomes screwy, once the TV is plugged in. 1280x800 becomes too big, and the only resolutions that fit are 800x600 and 1024x768. And, yet again, everything becomes stretched out of proportion in the horizontal direction.

I appreciate anyone who has the patience to decipher this problem. If you can help me, you deserve a gold medal. Samsung couldn't help me (no surprise), and Acer couldn't help me either (even less of a surprise). I don't think I was meant to have a TV.

under display properties on your computer there should be a way to resize the picture vertically and horizontally. right click on the desktop and click display properties. go to settings> advanced and there should be something among one of the tabs to help you configure this

cileskot said:
under display properties on your computer there should be a way to resize the picture vertically and horizontally. right click on the desktop and click display properties. go to settings> advanced and there should be something among one of the tabs to help you configure this
I would be a happy man if i could do this. I can't seem to find any sort of option like this (the SIS utilities are very limited). Is there any sort of 3rd party program that will allow me to do this? I've sort of tried powerstrip, but i can't seem to make any sense of it.

Back
Top Bottom