Replacing my computer

Me ether. Why would they do that, unless the power supply cannot handle the power or something like that. Remember, company's that build computers are more prone to using as little as it can handle. That computer could have a psu of say 400 watts and not even 80. It may not be able to handle another drive. They build cheap for the most part to make as much as they can. Last one i bought was a Compaq and it couldn't get out of its own way. Dells are usually better but just so. I wouldn't buy the hp. If you have the knowledge, i would build your own. It may cost the same but you can buy better parts and put it together yourself. End result, is a better computer and less money or same price, Just my 2 cents.
He already bought the Dell, and tbf most of these OEMs are now using Gold rated PSUs or better. I have an HP with a 400W platinum and that's more than enough PSU for anything you can officially put in a SFF machine. I have strapped a GTX 1070 to it in the past and it held up with a quad core Xeon equivalent of a 6700k. Considering the OP only wants this for a work only PC doing essentially accounting and booking work, it's more than enough.

Last PC i bought was a Dell. It had 2 gigs of ram and a pentium 4 processor in it. It only had another slot of ram i could install. At the time it was hard to find anything over 2.1 ghz. It was ok but even working different programs, Open office, it would even slow down the printer. My next computer i bought the parts and built it myself, never looked back. I went with AMD and used a 2.5 duel core and 4 gigs of ram. It left the dell in the dust! I never looked back again. There are amd folks and intel folks but that was the last one i ever owned. I used it almost 10 years! When the board went i upgraded and i have a quad core model now. This one is way fast over the duel core i had. And i went to 8 gigs of ram. Still running it now. I finally wore out the duel core and used it in a MSI board that Celery had. I used it a few months and found teh equipment i have in this one now. The only thing was the older GPU was slow. I got the one i have now and still runs great for whatever i need.
Now, he may be ok with the Dell, but i would have gone with a build it myself computer. Just my two cents

Your experience is based on known performance metrics from then. Pentiums were vastly slower than AMD's parts back then regardless of DIY or not. In the OPs case, this is for a company and a warranty is definitely a nice feature to have. It's more than enough for what he does and will last years.

I heard that Pentium 4's were made up to I think 3.? And were used for gaming. Never really checked to see just how fast they did make them. AMD made the best till the fx series. That was really bad. The a series was better, but Ryzen really put them where they are today. I had one Pentium that was a dual core but wasn't impressed.my wife had a 4 gen quad core it that couldn't keep up with my amd dual core 3.0. Sometimes.. I think this quad core is a step back from that dual core..

I heard that Pentium 4's were made up to I think 3.? And were used for gaming. Never really checked to see just how fast they did make them. AMD made the best till the fx series. That was really bad. The a series was better, but Ryzen really put them where they are today. I had one Pentium that was a dual core but wasn't impressed.my wife had a 4 gen quad core it that couldn't keep up with my amd dual core 3.0. Sometimes.. I think this quad core is a step back from that dual core..
It all entirely depends on architecture and generational differences. Every single Pentium 4 was a turd because of the Netburst architecture. All of them. They couldn't catch up to Athlon64, and when AMD released the X2 dual cores it was even worse. Some Pentium 4s had HT so they looked like dual cores but the performance was nowhere near AMD's dual cores. Their answer was the Pentium D but they were 2 Pentium 4s glued together and performed as such. When Intel released Core 2 it was all over for AMD until they came out with Ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom