Replacing my computer

Some motherboards disable some SATA ports depending on how many M.2's are used. Mine disables SATA 1 port if the first M.2 slot is used and SATA 5 and 6 ports of the second M.2 slot is used.

Anyway, since you confirmed that's out of the way now, I believe you can safely just add the older HDD to the new box.

Congratulations for the new buy in advance :)

That's because mainstream boards have a lot loaded onto them without enough PCI-E lanes and resources to properly utilize everything. They assume people using the M.2s won't utilize SATA, or at least all of them anyway. When dealing with these OEM boxes they have 1 or 2 SATA ports anyways, so disabling isn't really a thing. You got one M.2 that'll take 4 lanes then a crappy dedicated GPU that will run fine on 8 lanes (or just the IGP leaving all lanes free) leaving all that extra for the PCH.

OEM's give the least options and could be predictable to the inexperienced so gotta be careful around them. Better safe than sorry.

Yes I started the other thread because I thought that if I posted on here again it might not get picked up as it has been going a while.

Me ether. Why would they do that, unless the power supply cannot handle the power or something like that. Remember, company's that build computers are more prone to using as little as it can handle. That computer could have a psu of say 400 watts and not even 80. It may not be able to handle another drive. They build cheap for the most part to make as much as they can. Last one i bought was a Compaq and it couldn't get out of its own way. Dells are usually better but just so. I wouldn't buy the hp. If you have the knowledge, i would build your own. It may cost the same but you can buy better parts and put it together yourself. End result, is a better computer and less money or same price, Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom