Replacing my computer

For Smart_Guy, as Treasurer of the club, I look after the monetary affairs, such as income and expenditure and reconcile all of these activities with the bank statements to make sure that the club remains solvent and, my day to day work, if I have done it all correctly, is then of great help to the accountants who go on to prepare the accounts for submission to the tax authorities. Hope that helps.

You mention that the CPU is good but the GPU is bad. I've never heard of a GPU and so don't know what it is. My use of the pc is absolutely for business and personal use. I do not use it in any way for games (I'm 80 years old by the way!)

I tend to run my machine with the C: drive housing the O/S and my programmes and, all of my data, files, photo's etc. are kept separate on my D: drive. I then do daily backups to two standalone SSD's using Macrium reflect.

I now quite like the look of the machine that PP Mguire provided a link to at post #3

Thanks again for all the help thus far.

For Smart_Guy, as Treasurer of the club, I look after the monetary affairs, such as income and expenditure and reconcile all of these activities with the bank statements to make sure that the club remains solvent and, my day to day work, if I have done it all correctly, is then of great help to the accountants who go on to prepare the accounts for submission to the tax authorities. Hope that helps.

You mention that the CPU is good but the GPU is bad. I've never heard of a GPU and so don't know what it is. My use of the pc is absolutely for business and personal use. I do not use it in any way for games (I'm 80 years old by the way!)

I tend to run my machine with the C: drive housing the O/S and my programmes and, all of my data, files, photo's etc. are kept separate on my D: drive. I then do daily backups to two standalone SSD's using Macrium reflect.

I now quite like the look of the machine that PP Mguire provided a link to at post #3

Don't worry about the GPU, I knew from the start this machine didn't require a significant video card.

Thanks for the heads up about the club treasuring.

The GPU is is Graphics Processing Unit, as opposed to the CPU; the Central Processing Unit. If you don't play 3D video games or do 3D modeling (and sometimes video rendering use it), you don't need a good GPU. Any built-in GPU (called iGPU) would be enough then.

If you are sure you got you files' safety covered, I guess what I said about it is not important, then. I basically meant that a separate physical drive (C and D can be on the same physical drive and that's not typically good), safety is one step better. It's it also a good idea to do the backup imaging on a separate physical drive, which I think you're aware of already.

Yes, PP's suggestion is nice indeed.

Thanks chaps, really helpful stuff. The machine comes with a single SSD installed, how can I find out if I can fit a second drive so that I've got my O/S and programmes on one and all of my data on the other but both are internal drives. I need to find out, 1. is it possible, 2. what type I will need and 3. will it be easy to fit.
Thank you.

Thanks chaps, really helpful stuff. The machine comes with a single SSD installed, how can I find out if I can fit a second drive so that I've got my O/S and programmes on one and all of my data on the other but both are internal drives. I need to find out, 1. is it possible, 2. what type I will need and 3. will it be easy to fit.
Thank you.
The machine comes with a standard M.2 SSD installed on the board itself. You can get a standard 2.5" SATA SSD to put in there normally like you would a HDD.

Be careful, M.2, if occupied, in known to disable some SATA ports. You need to make sure there's at least one SATA port enabled to install another internal storage. If it is not clarified on the link, perhaps contacting them for one is a good idea. OEM like to limit ports to close to what they need only to reduce prices. Oh, an also make sure the power supply has a free SATA power too. OEM upgrades surprised many before.

Back
Top Bottom