Replacing my computer

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I am thinking about replacing my quite old computer which is a Dell Studio XPS 7100, I think that it must be about 10 or 12 years old now.

I have spotted this during my scanning of the internet and am wondering if someone would be kind enough to let me know how it compares to my old one. I am not very good at processor and GHz details and would appreciate any thoughts that anyone might have.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/optiplex-3070-desktop/s014o3070mt

I am constantly on the internet and, the other main uses are for my work as treasurer of a local club and so a lot of word processing and spreadsheet work is done. I also keep lots of records on file.

I am wondering if I purchased it, could I change the hard drive to an SSD.

I will be most grateful for any thoughts, good or bad. Thank you.

What are the specs of the XPS 7100. The guaranteed source, Dell.com, removed it. The link shows the specs of the new one (that's what I'm gonna call the one you wanna buy in the link from now on) so no need for its specs.

What are your uses? The new one in the link has a good CPU but the GPU is bad. Both of them are most likely a pain to upgrade since they are OEM.

Tentatively, and likely, actually, the new one is way much better than the old one since it is like 10 years older, even in GPU, even tho it is certainly so bad for reasonably high fidelity 3D gaming by today's standards.

Replacing the storage with an SSD is possible, yes, if the SSD you're looking for uses the same interface. Most likely it's SATA so SATA SSD can be used for an upgrade. However, it is possible that there are no extra SATA connection for an extra storage since OEM's, once again, typically provide only enough extension/expansion means for the already installed devices.

Here are the specs of my current pc. I was thinking of getting the tower.

Thank you Smart_Guy and PP Mguire for your valued input, much appreciated.

Attachments

• Computer specs.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 7
Hmm, now that we know the specs of the current rig to be replaced, decide what are you looking at so we can connect the dots. The new one could be good enough for some parts of the old one; e.g. SSD for the OS and a separate data storage which is the HDD from the old one. The video card too, if it turns out that it is worthy to replace the integrated in the new one if the PSU can handle it.

If you plan on keeping the old one as a full functional build, that's another story. I'm just trying to make use of it for our advantage to the new build.

Sorry for keeping it short. It's too late at night for me to elaborate. I will try tomorrow.

We still do not know the nature of his "work as treasurer". If it has 3D modeling, just for example, the video card could help. Not sure, tho, if it is better than the iGPU but the idea is there. As for the documents and his "keep lots of records on file", we do not know their amount or size or if include other than works files for entertainment or something so he could use the HDD right next to the SSD for storage. Let alone it is typical now to have the OS on a separate physical drive and the data on another as a security step, specially if the files are work files. The old HDD is 1TB 7200 RPM. It could be really useful.

But all that is useless if the old rig is to be fully and separately functional or something.

Last edited:
Oops. That's some strange idiom/expression. Now I even doubt if I know what "dealing with the clubs money" means. English!

Well this leaves the other point, then. It's not a matter of life and death (not immediately, at least, ha!) but it could save the day at some point.

Back
Top Bottom