repairing a monitor vs buying a new one?

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I have two LG L227WTP 22inch monitors on my PC and one of them is not working properly anymore. When I switch it on the power button light keeps flickering and the monitor won't run off until 5-10 mins after, before it turns on it will be flickering, but once it is on after those 10mins it seems to work fine.

This monitor is about 6 years old and it was not very expensive when I bought it, so I am wondering if this would be an easy thing to have repaired? Or would a repair easily cause the same cost of buying a new monitor?

Last edited:
Potentially it's just a blown capacitor, for which the cost of an actual replacement would be a couple of euros at most.

This is doable yourself, or you could pay a local computer repair shop to do it; this should be much cheaper than the cost of a replacement monitor.

If the issues are greater than a blown capacitor, then the cost of repair might not be worth it.

Thanks!

I just looked up some tutorials on YouTube on how to replace bad capacitors in a PC monitor.
I might be able to do this myself. If I bring it to a repair shop they will probably still way overcharge me and it'll be like 50 EUR just for them top open the monitor and look at what's wrong.

Thanks!

I just looked up some tutorials on YouTube on how to replace bad capacitors in a PC monitor.
I might be able to do this myself. If I bring it to a repair shop they will probably still way overcharge me and it'll be like 50 EUR just for them top open the monitor and look at what's wrong.

Indeed. My suggestion is to at least open it up and have a good look inside. You may wish to spend a good 5-10 minutes becoming familiar with the insides, as you might spot further issues.

It's a very easy repair job usually, the only difficult thing sometimes is getting the plastic frame off the monitor without marking/cracking it. Usually it's secured by plastic clips positioned at intervals around the edges, so you have to get a flat head screwdriver in and slide it along to pop/unclip them.

Just make sure that you've left it unplugged from mains for an hour or so before working on it. Not so much for your own safety, but so you don't accidentally discharge one across a circuit that wasn't meant to handle it
And yeah, replacement caps usually cost cents not dollars. I pretty regularly get free broken monitors from work that are repairable for under a dollar, sell them for $90 :p

I agree, open up and see if you can replace the cap (and yes, the hardest part is getting the frame off loool), if there is another issue with it, figure out what part is needed and let us know, we could tell you if its worth fixing still or not..

Thanks guys!

I have not gotten around to opening this thing up yet, but I watched some tutorials on YouTube, and opening it seems a bit tricky indeed.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom