Remove Evaluation Copy from Vista SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
If you did update your version of Windows Vista with the latest release candidate of Service Pack 1 you might have noticed an annoying text in the lower right corner of your operating system stating Windows Vista (TM) Evaluation Copy. Build 6001 even if you are running a genuine version of Windows Vista.
The message is misleading and could be interpreted in the wrong way especially if more than one user is working with the computer or if it is used for presentation purposes. According to Microsoft this message is just a reminder for the user that he is using a release candidate of Service Pack 1 which will stop functioning eventually.
I suppose a user who did install the release candidate of Windows Vista knows that this is not the full version. The easiest way to get rid of the Evaluation Copy text is to exchange the file user32.dll.mui with a patched copy that has the text removed. This works only on English Vista editions however.
Download the patched file from My Digital Life and follow the instructions posted there. It basically requires you to get full administration rights for the file user32.dll.mui to be able to replace it with the patched one.
I would strongly suggest to create a backup copy of the file before you proceed. The result is that the Evaluation Copy message will no longer be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom