Remove BIOS password

If it's anything like older Dell Vostro laptops, you're screwed, it's probably stored inside of some type of NVRAM, and that could be a separate chip, or, part of another chip. My old Vostro, you could short two pins on the NVRAM to another point on the motherboard to cause the NVRAM chip to clear, but I would assume such tricks these days are not possible.
I personally haven't had much success with password reset websites or "default" passwords.

Last edited:
They do make re-program tools to re-flash a bios. It's fairly cheap too.
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Programmer-CH341A-Burner-EEPROM/dp/B013Q5P3ES
I'm sure it takes a certain skillset but to me it does not look to be too complicated providing you can still download another bios write from the OEM or pick up a pre-wrote bios chip for that laptop on ebay. use that tool to install a clean bios chip and use that to re-write to the existing chip on the board.
Edit:
I can recall a while back that you could get a good bios chip, place that on the bad chip (pin for pin) on the board and get the board to boot up, once you do that you can do a re-flash on that chip and get it to be usable again. I think a new bios flash would wipe out the password.

Last edited:
Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the computer. Locate the password reset jumper (PSWD) on the system board. Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper pins. Power on without the jumper plug to clear the password.

Greetings,
Peter

There are a few methods you can try to remove a BIOS password, but it's important to note that these methods may not work for all computers, and in some cases, the only way to remove a BIOS password may be to contact the manufacturer for assistance.
Here are a few methods you can try:
  1. Try using a "password reset" or "BIOS backdoor" password: Some BIOS manufacturers include a backdoor password that can be used to reset the password. These passwords are often published online, but they may not work for all computers.
  2. Remove the CMOS battery: The CMOS battery powers the BIOS memory and helps to keep the password stored in the BIOS when the computer is turned off. If you remove the battery for a few minutes and then reinsert it, the password should be reset.
  3. Short the BIOS password reset jumper: Some motherboards have a jumper that can be used to reset the BIOS password. You can find the location of this jumper by consulting your motherboard manual or by doing an online search for the make and model of your motherboard.
  4. Use a software tool to reset the password: There are a number of software tools available that claim to be able to reset BIOS passwords. These tools may or may not work for your specific computer, so it's worth giving them a try if you're unable to use any of the other methods.
It's important to note that removing a BIOS password may void your warranty, so be sure to consider this before attempting any of the above methods. If you're unable to remove the password, your best bet may be to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Back
Top Bottom