Remote Shutdown

StealthyDead

Beta member
Ok I want to remotely shut down a computer on my home network for security reasons. I've done what I was supposed to, but it tells me that access is denied.

I go to "Start," search "run," run it, type in "cmd" and hit enter, type in "net viewer," trace the computer I need to ip address to, type "shutdown -i" and put in the ip address as well as the warning and reason for shutting down, and then it says that access was denied and I it doesn't shut down. I don't know if there's an easy fix to this or what. it says "Access Denied <5>"

Before anyone says anything, this isn't illegal and there is consent from the user to do this in the need of a security risk.

Help appreciated,
Nathan

You most likely haven't got the right permissions set. You need the appropriate permissions on the machine that you're shutting down as well as your current machine, otherwise it'll report back with such an error.

Berry120 is right it is a permissions issue... but why is it so important that you shut down a computer over the network? Its a little odd to me but ok.

Back
Top Bottom