Remote Monitor Software

Spiceworks does require domain account or ssh credentials for switches/routers but it is a really good monitor. I bugeted last year for a mounted a TV on the wall and got the equipment setup recently, now we have a 4k resource monitor and a heartbeat alert sound in our office if something goes down. Plus we get email if its down for more than 2 minutes. The monitor shows CPU, RAM and Disk usage of servers and has alerts on-screen when any of those resources are continually over burdened. Its really helped streamline our load balancing efforts.

Spiceworks does require domain account or ssh credentials for switches/routers but it is a really good monitor. I bugeted last year for a mounted a TV on the wall and got the equipment setup recently, now we have a 4k resource monitor and a heartbeat alert sound in our office if something goes down. Plus we get email if its down for more than 2 minutes. The monitor shows CPU, RAM and Disk usage of servers and has alerts on-screen when any of those resources are continually over burdened. Its really helped streamline our load balancing efforts.

Do you monitor all your servers with this heartbeat alert / TV?
If we did we'd hear the heartbeat 24/7 :tongue: Things go down all the time at a development site

Do you monitor all your servers with this heartbeat alert / TV?
If we did we'd hear the heartbeat 24/7 :tongue: Things go down all the time at a development site

At first we did have a lot of alerts because there were two vdcs that had high cpu que. Really, for the most part it stays pretty quiet maybe because 85% of my job is maintaining production equipment. Occasionally a redundant drive has failed - easy fix with a cold spare. Temperature alerts have gone off before because one of the techs forget to close a rack door. I have customized the alerts themselves to be accurate to react to our environments needs. With spiceworks you can drag a slider on certain sensors for alert threshold so once you collect some data and see a trend where nominal is - you can set the alert comfortably higher than nominal to be alerted to any abnormalities. One day last week one of our main switches went down that connect dozens of our production machines with our internal network and the alert sounds was like a fire drill lol.

Back
Top Bottom