Remote Desktop help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I have win xp Pro and I wanted to try Remote Desktop without any Programs.

Now before I start I want to let anyone that can help me know that I know there is all these Programs and even FREE Programs that will make this a whole lot fater and may work batter.

But I am trying to do this without anything but the Operating Systems on both computers.

Now me an my Aunt both have DSL and we both have Verizon Internet an we both have win xp pro.
So what I had her do was go into her Windows Firewall and Under the Acaptions Tab I had her put a Checkmark in Remote Desktop and Allow Remote Assistance.

Then I had her Right click on her My Computer Icon and go into Propeties and then Click on the Remote Tab and put a checkmark in Allow Remote.

Then I had her go into the DOS window and type
ipconfig

And this brings up all the specs I need. So I just had her read to me the Line that says ip adress and I had her give me the string of numbers.

Now when I bring up my Remote Connection Window the one in Accesorys the Connection box I type in her ip address numbers with the DOTs then I whent to Options and I put a checkmark in the Box that say allow Hard Drive Use.

I go to click on the connect Tab and a window comes up that says.
You Cannot Connect To The Computer.

Now everything I read and every Video I look at on YouTube tells me to do just these things and nothing more.
What am I not doing???????

That would work fine if you are both on the same local network. To use Remote desktop across the internet you will need to establish a VPN connection, or something similar, in order for Remote desktop to work.

I think Ultra VNC might do what you need.
You will need to know the IP address that she is getting from Verizon (the IP of her modem). Go to ipchicken.com to find that (the easiest way).

You don't need additional software with XP Pro.

I had a remote connection to the computer in the garage last month while testing.

These links got me up and running in an hour.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

It's pretty impressive once it is up and running. I used to sit at my main computer, login into my remote computer, set it up to DL stuff overnight and log out again. I also had speedfan on there monitoring temps too as it was getting hot in the garage.

The whole purpose was to test the 'remote desktop' theory I had and the stability of the computer under extreme heat conditions.

It passed.

Correct buy you are in the same network. I'm assuming his aunt is located on a different network (not in his house hooked up to the same router).

Ok. But those instruction skip an important part. They assume you connected to they 'company office' via VPN. I'm assuming you didn't connect to your aunts house via VPN. I think you'll still need to enter in her external IP address. You'll also probably need port fowarding turned on to allow her router to know what to do with the incoming remote desktop session. And I'm still not sure if this will work.

EDIT:
On second thougth try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
Seems to be more like what you need.

OK, you don't need to establish a VPN.

what you need to do is have your aunts IP address, ask her to go to www.whatismyip.com to find this out.

you'll also need to log onto her router that connects to her broadband and add port forwarding for port 3389 (RDP port) to the address of her computer, (she should find this out by typing IPConfig at the command prompt).

you also need to right click on my computer select properties and make sure that remote desktop connections are allowed. and you;ll lastly need a username and a password to log on.

now from your machine you should just need to type her IP into the remote desktop client.

this connection will then go from your computer to your router, as it's an external address it'll go out to the internet through various other routers until it hits your aunts router.

from here your aunts router will be set up to know that connections appearing on port 3389 (RDP) need to be sent to a specific computer, so your aunts router will forward the request to your aunts PC.

connection established.
you don't need a vpn, (though it's recommended for security).
if you use VNC you'll still have to set up port forwarding on the router at her end.

I found this on YouTube it is for Remote Desktop and it speaks of connecting over the internet.

But it does not have anything about configuring your Browser.
Please go look at it and tell me what they are talking about and why they do not tell about making a VPN Connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrPoOeOLMek

One more thing me and my Aunt do not use any Routers on are computers.

And if she goes into ipconfig in command propt and gives me her ip Address how is this not her ip addess that you tell me to get??

Back
Top Bottom