Remote Access?

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok, so i am going to have myself a nice little server/HTPC sometime here soon, and i was wandering.

Is it possible to use one computer, and use it to access a disc drive on another computer, and stream the movie from that drive on the remote PC to the other PC and display it on the monitor/TV?

I want to do this so i can use all the internal space on my server build for hard drives, and i want no disc drives in it.

cboucher

Fully Optimized
Yeah, you can share CD and DVD drives in Windows the same way you share a folder. It would be awfully slow, though. Depending on DVD drive speed, CPU/Memory speed of both PCs and network speed you might have a hard time streaming a DVD movie to another PC and still have it be watchable.

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Yeah, you can share CD and DVD drives in Windows the same way you share a folder. It would be awfully slow, though. Depending on DVD drive speed, CPU/Memory speed of both PCs and network speed you might have a hard time streaming a DVD movie to another PC and still have it be watchable.
even using quad cores and 32x, and wired Ethernet?

hmm..

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
That should be plenty fine. It might have a few hitches here and there. But it will be just like watching YouTube videos, only larger. If the comp has issues watching YT videos, then it needs a hardware upgrade.

sniperviper21

Golden Master
ahh ok, because i am considering using my server as a HTPC on the side if i can, if not, no biggy.

just going to try to get more use out of what i get.