Remote access

Fisher

Fully Optimized
Hello all i was wondering about setting up remote access for my computer so i can access it from my girlfriends to make sure my downloads are still running.

1. I would like to know how to set it up
2. I would also like to knwo the pros and cons of it about sercurity etc

I know some about it. like you have to have a user account set up (on my comp) and also have to know my Pcs IP address to access it in windows explorer on my girlfriends comp. I would like to know how to enable it etc and anyhting else i have to do.

I use windows xp home as does my girlfriend. I have a belkin routor (do i need to forward ports?) my girlfriend just has an ASDL usb modem. we also both use norton anti viruse 2005 if that counts for anything... umm cant think of any other info you might need but just ask if you do.

thank you

Try using RealVNC, thats quite a good program! Even more fun when you get n00bs to install it and so you can connect :p

Another thing which may be useful is LogMeIn.com.. I use this sometimes to access my computer while at school or other places.

EDIT: I think I may have read the post wrong, if the above programs are useless then im sorry.. :cool:

lol ok thank you all the same ill go and have a ponder at those programs now

With RealVNC, you will need to setup a VNC server on the computer you want to connect to. You will also have to forward port 5500 from the DLink router to the IP address of the computer you're trying to connect to. You will also need to know your public IP address. You will last need to install the VNC viewer on the computer you are connecting from. It's a really nice program, comes in very handy.;)

Back
Top Bottom