reinstalling xp problem

15romeo

Beta member
I just bought a new latop and wanted to get the alienware xp off of it, i can get to the partition questions, but when i choose any option this comes up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver update try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable bios memory option such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select safe mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E
(0x0000005, 0xF7418CAD, 0xFGFD57E4,0x00000000)
***setupdd.sys - address F7418CAD base at F73EC00,
Datestamp 41107C8F

Specs: alienware 7700m, P4 3.8Ghz, 2Gb Memory, ATI vidcard.

when i had that message i needed to buy a new hard drive .. well i didn't get it, the problem was with a college computer but if you have a new laptop i can not see how the hard drive is damaged?

yea, im on it right now thats the screw part. everything works. but when i go to reinstall

are you using the WInXP disk to reinstall the laptop? or do you need to install from a partition?

Is it possible that the HD is not working entirely? i can install new software just fine and it works fine.

don't think its a problem with your hard drive because its new and you can use it ok.

When i had that problem it was when the computer was booting!

I tried it from the xp cd that i got with it, and i tried a buddies, cause i thought maybe it was the disc. is there another way to go about it?

not sure i have no idea how to fix this? i would say buy a new Hard drive but there is not a problem with it! Sorry i can not help :(

Boot into Windows and login put your XP disk and try and install that way.

According to Microsoft Help, this problem can be associated with fautly RAM modules.

SYMPTOMS
When you install Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive a Stop Error message that is similar to one of the following while the Setup program is running:
STOP 0x0000008e
STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Additionally, if you troubleshoot by removing all unnecessary hardware devices that are installed on the computer, and then you run the Setup program, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Setup cannot copy the file Setupdd.sys.
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

If you have more than one stick of RAM, try trying one at a time to see if that resolves the problem.

Back
Top Bottom