Reinstalling windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyWattz

Solid State Member
I was attempting to reinstall windows xp on one of my dell dimension desktops due to virus and malware problems. I got through the installation of xp fine. However, now when I get into windows, the screen resolution is low. A pop up comes up saying windows will automatically adjust the resolution, but it just stays the same. Also, I don't have a network connection established. I've looked through some online help and there seems to be a window during installation that is SUPPOSED to come up asking you about how to configure your network settings, but that never came up. The only reason I can think of is because it is not recognizing the NIC card, and that could be the problem for the resolution because it isn't updating the drivers. ??? Well that is just my best guess, but if anyone has any suggestions or knows exactly what to do, please let me know. If I need to reinstall again, that is fine. Thanks for your help

There's no need to reinstall again. You are correct, it hasn't updated your drivers, thus your resolution is low. If you can get your network card working, you can download the newest drivers. Do you not have a blue cd from Dell with all of your drivers on it? If not, you can go to http://support.dell.com and download the drivers from another computer and put them on a CD.

I have the "blue" cd with the device drivers which is for another dell pc that i have. I've been trying to use that one, but when I go to choose the pc model the exact dell model number isn't there. I'm not sure if that matters or not. I extracted the driver files. I follow all the instructions that it gives me, but then it says it can not find my device drivers when i am trying to install it.

also, i went to the dell website to see if they had any other versions of the drivers cd to download and i couldn't find anything on the site.

Nyper said:
There's no need to reinstall again. You are correct, it hasn't updated your drivers, thus your resolution is low. If you can get your network card working, you can download the newest drivers. Do you not have a blue cd from Dell with all of your drivers on it? If not, you can go to http://support.dell.com and download the drivers from another computer and put them on a CD.

This is the answer to your problem, just go to the web site,then go to the small buisness section of the page and then either enter your service tg or your model number. From there you should see everything you need.

The old cd is a bad idea i would suggest not even trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom