Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7.

Exactly. So you see this edit isnt just cause we are trying to be lazy. In fact it is helpful for such applications that wont allow us to choose where to install when we want to have the choice. I can tell you from personal experience, meaning I just did it since my last post, that opening up regedit and modifying the files is a far better choice when needed.

I put the Registry back to default, reinstalled IE, rebooted and checked. Sure enough IE9 is now installed and working. Redid the registry edits and rebooted. Right back to where i was and it was no more than 3 minutes to do. So yeah while it can be a hassle, for those of us that install many programs that dont give us options, this is needed. Being a Beta tester for Microsoft I can tell you that there are very few programs that they release in Beta that have that option. I need this registry mod to do what I must.

Well you're making this out like I said it was a bad thing. I said it was great for anyone who wanted to do this, but most people will just not see the point.

I don't see why it isn't so hard to just type D:\ when you're installing a new program? That's what I do and takes less than a second of my time during every game/program install.

Sorry but to me this comment doesnt ring out in the same fashion as what you just said. This is more like "Hey why are you so lazy you cant just change the install location yourself?". If people dont realize that they cant change the install location when installing the program, then maybe they will see a point to a topic such as this then. Maybe it will open their eyes to the fact that not all programs offer such options and they will realize that they are installing more programs to their SSD than they realize.

i won't apply this to my business wkst. but then again, i have a larger drive and don't install games.

this is also useful in a corporate env where apps need to be installed to other drives.

edit note. i would tell the people up front before the steps that this only works on new installs. I had to read thru it about three times before realizing that last step / comment.

I would edit the post, but AFAIK, after 24 hours it's locked, plus I kinda basically rushed through. My thoughts are really never 1/2/3/4/5, always 1/3/5/2/4/1 XD

If I had a LARGE SSD, (300GB+) there would be no need for this for me, but, as said earlier, more and more software just looks to see where the system has the program files directory set, and uses that instead of offering the option to install elsewhere.

Sorry but to me this comment doesnt ring out in the same fashion as what you just said. This is more like "Hey why are you so lazy you cant just change the install location yourself?". If people dont realize that they cant change the install location when installing the program, then maybe they will see a point to a topic such as this then. Maybe it will open their eyes to the fact that not all programs offer such options and they will realize that they are installing more programs to their SSD than they realize.
If a person doesn't know how to change manually during install, or don't realize they are installing things to their SSD then this tutorial really isn't for them. Why? Because they wont think of something like this or will be to scared to mess with the registry. So my comment still applies, it just applies to the people who install programs that don't offer a change of install.

OK, I just did everything you said and it reduced the size of my C drive. Can I now delete the programs and x86 folder from C drive?

If you wish, but I would leave the default folder there, as it seems SOME IE and microsoft updates still force an install to that directory.

Back
Top Bottom