Red River Gorge

Status
Not open for further replies.
which part of it? I've backpacked prettymuch all of daniel boone national forest in central kentucky.

i thought you were talking about the Red River gorge outside of Taos in New Mexico, i have been there.

never been to the one in KY, but it looks spectacular.

Will have to put that on my list of places to visit.... I've been to the New River Gorge in West Virginia. That place is beautiful too... I have rafted the New River (lower) too... got knocked out of the raft by the guide in the Double Z rapids.... thats a story for a different thread....

Next time ya'll are around SE Tennessee you've gotta raft the Ocoee River. It's where the whitewater events of the Atlanta Olympics were held, and about 30 minutes from me.

Sweet, road trip to Trotters!! lol.

Sorry Warez.... [ThreahiJack]
Whitewater rafting is really a cool experience. When I was younger, my family would take road trips to West Virginia with another family that my mom works with. We went rafting a few times, and once I got to go in a boat myself, but it SUCKED, cause the water was FREEEEEEEEEEEEZING cold, and the boat was too small for me (I was too tall, lol).

Years later with my church youthgroup (Junior in Highschool), we went rafting down the lower New River, and came out of the water under the New River Gorge bridge. It was a really fun trip, till we hit Double Z rapid[/ulr]. That link lists it as a Class 5, but I dunno about that, but the rafting company DID say that this was the deadliest rapid on the (lower) river, and that we needed to be extremely careful. We hit the rapid, and took a steep dive. The guide in the back of the raft fell forward, and knocked me and the girl in front of me out of the raft and into the water. I was aft on the starboard side, she was middle starboard. She was freaking out, and crying, just going nuts, understandable, considering where we were at, lol. We both rode the rapid side by side feet to the front as we were instructed, and made it out just fine, so did the guide. It was kind of funny, because it was a BEAUTIFUL day, and there were dozens of rafts on the river, we had 2 in our group. The other raft in our group was behind us, and saw it, but didn't know at the time it was us. The guide told them that he hoped that they didn't know us... lol.

It was pretty cool afterward when we got back to the rafting company place, and they showed us the video from the trip, and they got a good little bit of us going down double Z without the raft, lol. I will have to see if I can find out who has that video... This was about 7-8 years ago. I haven't had the opportunity to go rafting since then.

Some pics I found.... I am fairly certain that the water level was a bit higher when we went.....

[/ThreahiJack]

Nice pics! Have to go there sometime. I've been to Ocoee before, another VERY nice area (never did the rafting thing, though... actually, never have been rafting before)

Those aren't my personal pics, just ones I found online of the Double Z rapid... When I was there, it was pre-(affordable) digital cameras, so I have no pics of my own.

Cool... just found a video of Double Z.... I would say it was DEF. not a class 5 as that wiki suggested.... probably class III or small IV....
YouTube - Whitewater Rafting - Double Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom