Recovery procedures

predrag_5

Solid State Member
:confused:
I have a Toshiba A40 (specs are online), and I recently went to ``cleanup`` the HD. I inserted the recovery disc, hoping that it would just re-write he OS and delete everythng else. I soon found out I was very wrong. I had formated the drive and here I am asking for assistance. (no I did not back up everything. I wanted it clean because I wanted to sell it)

Once the drive was formated I was under the impresion that it wold start installing the OS again. It does not. I even went a step further. I have XP Home on the toshiba, but also have other versions kicking around. I tried installing them as well with no luck. I have been trying everything. Maybe it is something that I am doing wron, or maybe it is just my laptop is finally pooched.

Any help would be appreciated.

you need to find a recovery program. "get data back" is good, cant remember if its legally free though.
the fact that youve probs formatted several times re installing new os's means the chances of recovering the data is not as good, but still worth a go

Juice,
I didn't fall of the turnip truck yesterday. Thank you for our responce though.

Dude,
I dont want to recover any of my files. I just want to get my OS working again. Any suggestions??:D

Maybe I just didn't ask the question properly. After it goes throught the format procedure should it not start up windows??

I only have the one disc from Toshiba. Is there supposed to be another disc for Windows instal? Like I mentioned earlier I tried other versions of windows but it gives me the message there is already a version of windows and may conflict.........

Is my windows actually still there? If so how do I get it to run?:confused:

OK, I guess nobody wants to post a reply. I am back to where I started. Thanks anyway.

1)chill
2)your not giving us enough information
3)You put in the recovery disk, which formatted the harddrive. It should have put a basic XP install back on.

what does the disk say.
what happens when you turn the machine on without the disk in?

Luda

Thats the thing, once it formats the HD thats it! It goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. You are not able to do anything. No typing, no F keys, nothing. Only option that works is ctrl, alt, del to restrart.

I was under the impression that once it was formatted that it would instal the factory version of windows that came with the laptop.

It gives me the option to boot from the disc or HD, but neither option does anything. It just goes back to the black screen with flashin cursor.

When startin up I can hit esc and go into my settings. There is a bios (ver 1.5 if not mistaken).

Don't know what else to tell ya.:D

well for my toshiba laptop i just insert the disc, boot from it, and it formats and installs everything back to factory defaults. once its done a black cmd box comes up telling me to remove the dvd and press any key to restart or something like that, then it boots into windows.
this is kind of wierd. so when you switch it on without the dvd in it does nothing at all?
you could try using a normal xp disc to fix the master boot record

:( Nothing at all..

I have tried nstalling other operating systems as well. I keep on hitting a brick wall. It is driving me absolutely crazy:eek:

I am bringing it in to the techs at work tommorow. Hopefully the can help me out. I am not dumb but sometimes we all need more knowledgeable assistance.

Will update when I get it sorted out, that way if anyone else has a similar problem.:D

Back
Top Bottom