Recovery options Help

amarinelli

Baseband Member
My computer won't start I have a window that asked me to start system restore even though I never prompted it to do so I said cancel and restart and the same window would keep coming up so I just went through the system restart process choosing a different restore point 7 times because after each restore I would get a window saying it was unsuccessful so I tried system repair 4 times an I would still get a window saying it could not be done so I tried a disc image recovery because I had a back up on a external drive after 3 hours it completed but computer would not start does anyone have any suggestion on what I can try next any help at all would be so appreciated thank you ,Ann

Your hard drive may have become faulty or you may have got a virus that is preventing your hard drive from booting into Windows. You could try making a boot disk to access your computer or a boot usb pen drive. Using one of these would allow you to see if your hard drive is accessable and allow you to get any files off the hard drive. You would need a computer with internet access to make a boot disk or a boot pen drive. Also a bit more information on your computer and operating system would be helpful. If your pc is a desktop hardware would be far more accessable than if it were a laptop. You can download Hiren's boot cd from here:-

Download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 (Free) for Windows

this will make a bootable cd and allow you to access your pc and also contains diagnostic tools. You do need to be a bit computer savvy to use it though.

Your hard drive may have become faulty or you may have got a virus that is preventing your hard drive from booting into Windows. You could try making a boot disk to access your computer or a boot usb pen drive. Using one of these would allow you to see if your hard drive is accessable and allow you to get any files off the hard drive. You would need a computer with internet access to make a boot disk or a boot pen drive. Also a bit more information on your computer and operating system would be helpful. If your pc is a desktop hardware would be far more accessable than if it were a laptop. You can download Hiren's boot cd from here:-

Download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 (Free) for Windows

this will make a bootable cd and allow you to access your pc and also contains diagnostic tools. You do need to be a bit computer savvy to use it though.
This is great advice can I also take my software once I have access to my hard drive and back it up on a external hard drive?

It depends on what you mean by software. You will be able to retrieve your personal files providing your hard drive is accessable. You wouldn't be able to retrieve your installed programs. Files are written to all sorts of places on the hard drive when a program is installed and although you could, possibly, retrieve the program folder the registry files etc wouldn't be retrievable so you wouldn't be able to reinstall the programs. I think first though you need to see whether your hard drive is actually working and the Hirems Boot Disk will tell you that and there are other diagnostic and repair programs included on that disk.

It depends on what you mean by software. You will be able to retrieve your personal files providing your hard drive is accessable. You wouldn't be able to retrieve your installed programs. Files are written to all sorts of places on the hard drive when a program is installed and although you could, possibly, retrieve the program folder the registry files etc wouldn't be retrievable so you wouldn't be able to reinstall the programs. I think first though you need to see whether your hard drive is actually working and the Hirems Boot Disk will tell you that and there are other diagnostic and repair programs included on that disk.

Hi I successfully downloaded and have booted from the Hirems boot disk and fortunately my hard drive is there I have first started by taking some files that I wanted to back up and put them on a external hard drive I am going to next try running the Rogue killer program that is suggested I do have a image recovery on a back up external hard drive if I eventually need it thank you for all your help

Your welcome. You may find that, once you have got your personal files off the hard drive it could be advantageous to do a clean reinstall of your operating sysytem and programs.

Your welcome. You may find that, once you have got your personal files off the hard drive it could be advantageous to do a clean reinstall of your operating sysytem and programs.
Would you know how I would do a clean install when I cant boot except with the Hirens boot cd? I have all the image recovery cd's I made when I first bought the
PC

The image CDs should boot themelves assuming you used imaging software to make those images. If all you did was copy your personal files to those disks then they will not boot. Assuming that you made those images with imaging software, such as Macrium Reflect or the software included on new computers, then just put the disk in and start the computer and the image should reinstall everything that was on your pc when you made that image.

I still do not know what operating system you have but if it is Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then you can download a Media Creation Tool that will make a bootable CD or USB pen drive of those operating systems.

The image CDs should boot themelves assuming you used imaging software to make those images. If all you did was copy your personal files to those disks then they will not boot. Assuming that you made those images with imaging software, such as Macrium Reflect or the software included on new computers, then just put the disk in and start the computer and the image should reinstall everything that was on your pc when you made that image.

I still do not know what operating system you have but if it is Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then you can download a Media Creation Tool that will make a bootable CD or USB pen drive of those operating systems.
I have windows 7 I have a seagate sync image back up which backed up last on November 20th I also have 4 disc I made on the computer when it was new I labeled them Disc image 1,2,3,4

Well ( that does seem to be a lot of disks for a new computer image) anyway put disk 1 into the CD player and then start the computer and the computer should boot from the disk and then perform the recovery.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

It should prompt you to put each disk in as it is needed.

Back
Top Bottom