Recovering deleted emails on a college server

kalessi

In Runtime
Let's say that i accidentally deleted an important email from my college proffessor .edu email account would the schools IT department be able to recover the email? The proffessor no longer has the email either. Its not in my recycle or recently deleted? I was just kind of curious if the deleted emails are stored on the schools email server?? If this was in a work enviroment and one of my coworkers did the same thing would I be able to recover the email some how if it was deleted?? Any feedback is appreciated...

Let's say that i accidentally deleted an important email from my college proffessor .edu email account would the schools IT department be able to recover the email? The proffessor no longer has the email either. Its not in my recycle or recently deleted? I was just kind of curious if the deleted emails are stored on the schools email server?? If this was in a work enviroment and one of my coworkers did the same thing would I be able to recover the email some how if it was deleted?? Any feedback is appreciated...

Depends on what kind of email system your school uses.

Most likely it's Outlook-based and not Exchange based, so you could call / put in a ticket with them, but ultimately it'd still be on MS's servers if it was still there, so they'd have to contact/put a ticket in with them.

That said, the sooner you ask the better, as deleted emails aren't usually deleted from the server right away. But it's usually only a day or 2.

So if its been over a week chances are its gone? When I sign into to my .edu account the inbox is powered by gmail...

Last edited:
So if its been over a week chances are its gone? When I sign into to my .edu account the inbox is powered by gmail...

You would have to contact your school's IT department to see how long their retention is setup to be. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll get it back.

You should have contacted them right away, in all reality, for the best possible chance at getting it back.

Google Mail services have a pretty good retention policy even for the most basic corporate email systems. Your school should be able to recover it within a month of initially being deleted.

Back
Top Bottom