Recovering data from a Camcorder Mini DVD

Riley Beats

Beta member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please correct me if necessary.

Have a mini dvd with old video on it, that was shot with a sony DCR-DVD-108 camcorder. Shortly after recording, the videos played fine. I put them away in storage for 7+ years. Dug them out to extract the data, and every disc worked except one side of one disc. The media looks completely undamaged and clean, yet the camcorder nor my pc will recognize any files. It gives me no errors, just displays it as blank, however when i click properties, it says there is a substantial amount of info on it (1gb+)

I tried Isobuster and a couple other data recovery solutions. I was able to pull a 1.03GB image file from it, but the image file acts exactly as the original disc did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the video on this one particular section is among the most important of this project.

Tried on another system? Do you by chance still have the original camcorder you recorded the info with? Do you know if you finalized the disc in the camcorder when you were finished with the other side?

It might be the CD/DVD drive does not have the right spec to read the disk as it is 7+ years old.. I know it sounds strange but if you have a very old machine, put it in there and see if it is able to read it. Otherwise it sounds as if the environment has killed the disk.

Thankfully, I have solved this problem. I do still have the original camcorder, that will not display any files on it. I also eliminated the possibility of a drive issue by trying it in multiple machines and the original recording device. I still do not know what caused the issue, but I was able to recover the video, one small sector at a time, by using a program called diskdigger.

Back
Top Bottom