Recommended Scripting Books for the Absolute Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

0a0x0e0

Beta member
Hi everyone. I joined this forum to look for some good advice!

I am very interested in getting into scripting. Not just a passing interest. I have spent many long hours staring at script I can't understand in lua, ruby and other variations of those scripts copying and pasting and doing a LOT of trial and error to get what I want.

But now I am fed up with trying to 'teach myself' to script, or to even ask somebody else to spoon feed me question after question. What I really need is a good book (a college course would be nice, but I'm way too broke to ever afford college). I just need a good 'ol fashion scripting guide for the absolute newb/moron/dummie. Somebody who doesn't know the difference between their right and left hand, so to speak.

I have searched and googled several online tutorials, but 99.9% of them even if generous in their 'starting with the basics' approach assume some basic knowledge, where I essentially don't have any. I have deduced some things from my own experience, but it's really nothing at all. I need help to lean everything, and I am willing to spend the money on books to learn.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thank you!

-Jake

I've always preferred direct experience over leaning from a book or even an online tutorial but each to his own I suppose. By the way, you shouldn't be discouraged by what appears to be slow progress, I forget who but a wise developer once wrote an article about how it takes pretty much 10 years to become a good programmer.

What language were you looking into?

I've always preferred direct experience over leaning from a book or even an online tutorial but each to his own I suppose. By the way, you shouldn't be discouraged by what appears to be slow progress, I forget who but a wise developer once wrote an article about how it takes pretty much 10 years to become a good programmer.

What language were you looking into?

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the encouragement that does help :)

The language I am looking into is called Ruby Game Scripting System and just the basic Ruby language (right now). I heard that if you are proficient in one language it wouldn't be a difficult transition to another one, not sure how true that is but it sounds true.

Thanks for your reply!

-Jake

Having a browse on Amazon, there appears to be a pretty good selection. There is an O'Reilly called Learning Ruby which you might want to take a look at.

"I heard that if you are proficient in one language it wouldn't be a difficult transition to another one, not sure how true that is but it sounds true."
It's true you might have a bit of a head start but it depends a lot on the languages.

Having a browse on Amazon, there appears to be a pretty good selection. There is an O'Reilly called Learning Ruby which you might want to take a look at.

"I heard that if you are proficient in one language it wouldn't be a difficult transition to another one, not sure how true that is but it sounds true."
It's true you might have a bit of a head start but it depends a lot on the languages.

Thank you that is very helpful. I tried to find a similiar book at my library with no luck. I get paid on the 5th of next month so I will definitely be getting that recommendation. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom