recommend me a light-weight virus scanner?

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I had the premium version of virus scanning provided from my last company. We were with Trend Micro. But apparently that licence has expired.

I've tried googling this but for some reason I'm getting complicated answers.

Can someone recommend a *light-weight* virus scanner for me please? My computer is pretty old and slow so I definitely don't want a resource hog.

Is Windows Defender good enough? I thought it wasn't. I'm on Win 7 btw, forgot to mention. I saw someplace recommending Microsoft Essentials for that yesterday, but I remember reading a few years ago that that sucks. Is it now considered good enough?

Is Windows Defender good enough? I thought it wasn't. I'm on Win 7 btw, forgot to mention. I saw someplace recommending Microsoft Essentials for that yesterday, but I remember reading a few years ago that that sucks. Is it now considered good enough?

Security Essentials was merged into Defender with Windows 8 and above.

I haven't ran a separate AV for years personally; but I also have things like script / adblockers on my browsers that keep a lot of the nasties away. That and I be careful about what sites I go to / what I download.

If you're not as comfortable with that, go ahead and get one of the other ones listed. I was using this site to determine:

https://www.av-comparatives.org

Back
Top Bottom