Recommend a brand of laptop please!

Drybones

Solid State Member
Hello there.

My girlfriend is shopping for a new laptop but does not know the ins and outs of the specs (nor do I anymore really) and would like a recommendation for what company to look to for maximum value.

Her budget is max $600. She is looking for something to do general computing like managing pictures and music, watching streaming video, and burning DVDs. She would like it to include an SD slot, lots of battery life, wifi capability (I assume that's implied) and HD output to our TV would be awesome. And she wouldn't mind a choice of case color :D

As far as software goes, Windows 7 is preferred over Vista, and microsoft office stuff like word would be nice. Everything else will probably just be uninstalled and replaced with freeware. The possibility of games would be nice but it's low priority for the sake of keeping the price down.

She plans on purchasing from Best Buy because she has access to zero interest financing. Keep this in mind as it may narrow her options.

Thanks a lot!

I can't really recommend a "Best brand", I dislike them all equally. Anyway, if you are on a budget and buying from Best Buy, go for a Toshiba. There are lots of different options in the Toshiba models right now around your price range. One piece of advice though, don't get any services offered by Best Buy's Geeksquad, warranty if you want....but no services. It will save you lots of money by doing those things yourself or for your gf.

They have a lot of Dell widescreen laptops in your price range right now. I know a lot of people here hate Dell, but I've always had really good experiences with Dell products.

Well you also have to take into consideration how many of them are sold and what type of models people are buying. As us being tech guys we all know the bottom barrel laptops are pieces of junk mostly. In my days as a technician i've replaced more tohsiba and gateway motherboards and dc jacks than any other brand. Altho dell did come close with that inspiron 1100,1150, 5100, and 5150 series. You all know what i'm talking about lol. I was saying as for minis, i'd go with an HP. As far as full out laptop i'm a dell fan, just cause i've seen their support work first hand. Have also seen it fail, but if you stick it to them you get what you want. Asus is always gonna be good. MSI has a good barebones system. Every manufacturer has their good models and their bads. If you' want a netbook go hp i'd suggest. Also HP is having a huge sale on some of their higher end systems(which i've found work great) Which means you'll get some 700-900$ laptops for around 500$. Thats really what I was referring to in saying HP had some "Solid systems for sell" lol. And see study that statistic for 2008, or 2007, and you'll see it changes every year with the manufacturer lol. Gotta love consumer electronic companies.

you do realize that those numbers are percents? dell is pretty good but they can get pricey when you're buying them from a store. I'd go for a toshiba, those last ages. as an employee of best buy i wouldnt suggest the warranty but the geek squad depends on how much free time you have.

Back
Top Bottom