Rebuilding my custom computer. Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Rocks

In Runtime
Hey Everyone,

Below is what I currently have in my system right now. I want to build a better gaming PC. I currently have no limit set on how much I will spend. I want to see what everyone thinks. Any thoughts would be great appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz / Asus P5QPL-VM EPU

Evga GTX260 896mb GDDR3/ Apevia X-Cruiser-AL ATX case w/3x 80mm's

OCZ SLI Ready 2x2gb DDR2 800MHz / APower AK Series 800w

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB / Lite-On DVD/CD-RW

Hauppage WinTV HD Tuner / Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

2 LG 23" LCD Glossy Black @ 1920x1080 / Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers

build a gaming PC. no limit on how much I will spend.
That's all I saw in your post ...or wanted to see I guess.
Fantasy build time:

CPU: $220 Intel i5 2500k.
MB: $280 ASRock Z68 Extreme7.
RAM: $120 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CAS6 (x2).
GPU: $525 MSI GTX 580 Lightning (possibly x2).
SSD: $499 240GB OCZ Vertex 3.
HDD: $90 1TB WD Caviar Black.
ODD: $69 Asus 12x Blu-Ray ROM + DVD/CD Burner.
PSU: $200 OCZ ZX 1000w.
Case: $190 Cooler Master HAF X (blue).
CPU Cooler: $93 Corsair H80.

Total = $2,286 (before shipping/rebates/combo deals)
$2,811 if you get the second GTX 580.

In all seriousness though, for about $1,400-$1,600 there are two good suggestions in this thread:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/please-help-need-suggestions-parts-first-time-build-249224/

Being an AMD fan, i would choose to wait for the FX bulldozers to come out in the next quarter and look at benchmarks and the performance/price ratio.

and the previous post, i think that CAS6 is very obnoxious. i would just go with (what i think) standard 8 or 9 CAS. i don't think it'll be much of a difference.

Most of the components in the build I posted are obnoxious, that's why I preempted it with "Fantasy build time".

In all seriousness though, for about $1,400-$1,600 there are two good suggestions in this thread:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/please-help-need-suggestions-parts-first-time-build-249224/
If you checked the link I posted for reasonable build suggestions you would see posts for CAS 8/9 RAM, among other things.

As an AMD fan have you found any info on the expected launch of the 4 core? Only pre-order info I've seen is for the 6 and 8 core.

Those are some pretty awsome builds. I like the cases that was listed in the both threads. The case I have right now sucks. You always have to open the front door to get to the dvd-rom drive.

Could you do some serious overclocking with the rigs that were listed in the other threads that you provided. The thing is with me is that I love computers but I always need help figuring out what hardware. How do you figure out what hardware is better then others?

I like the cases that was listed in the both threads.
Yeah, that is my favorite case on the market right now. For that price range nothing else comes close IMO.

Could you do some serious overclocking with the rigs that were listed in the other threads that you provided.
Yes and no, depends on what you mean by "serious overclocking".
The build Sean posted with the aftermarket CPU cooler will probably let him get the 2500k around 4.5GHz stable.
I skipped an aftermarket CPU cooler in my suggestion, but the stock Intel cooler can get you to 3.7-4.0GHz stable.

How do you figure out what hardware is better then others?
Comparison to other parts in the same price range, brand preference, and researching reviews/benchmarks.

Are you planning on cannibalizing your current build for parts in the new one, or building new and keeping your current around as a backup/selling it?
Also, is your Win7 OEM or Retail? If its OEM then a new copy needs to be factored in to the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom