really REALLY tough computer needed

Dude, if Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy. My processor might be a year or two older, but I keep max RAM in my laptop and my hardrive gets embiggened as necesary, so if Dngrswife gets teh fancy new laptop, my specs are still as good as hers, usually.

Actually, at the moment, we have the same model-- HP G72-259WM, but mine has 8GB RAM over her stock 4GB (she broke her screen after 6 mos and it was cheaper to buy a whole new refurb than to buy a new panel on the latest/greatest model... a year later, the price of replacement screens came down to <$100, I repaired the broken one and therefore upgraded my machine that way).

She promises me, though, that the next new lappy will go to me-- this machine won't even run Minecraft (well, Minecraft got HUGE when it went to 1.0).

Hah! :p

Fact is, I use my machine at both home and work, so it's got to be portable, and frankly, there's no place in the house to park a desktop.

Hell, my firewall is caseless and shoved into the top of a closet!

I sent him an ebay link to a CF-29, he seemed a little excited about the whole indestructible laptop thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it only lasted a few months...

Aren't the motherboards in those like 4"x4"? smaller than ITX

Anyone got some specific desktop cases that are waterproof/indestructible?

Dude, even Toughbooks get broken... you should see what one looks like after a few months in the hands of a mechanic who didn't pay for it.

Instead of treating the symptoms, maybe it's time to address the disease-- getting the little brat to stop breaking computers.

Seriously, were it my kid, I would bring the hammer down (or baseball bat... I have smashed quite a few things in my daughter's room to get her attention) and get the kid to understand that his behaviour is unacceptable.

At the very least, build a machine out of the scraps of broken ones so he has his own and doesn't have to share with his older brother, and make him responsible for keeping it running. If he wants to be able to use a computer, and the one he is given is the only unit he is allowed to use, people may be surprised to find that he learns to take care of it.

;) Yup, replacable objects :)

I see what you did there.
naughty.gif

Back
Top Bottom