ready to make the switch....almost???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
so i have my new build sitting next to me...

core i7 920
ASUS P6T WS Pro
3x2gig OCZ Gold 12800 RAM
Corsair 750W
XFX GTX 260
Cooler Master 690

wooohoooo!!!!...and want to make the big switch over from my current winXP Pro SP3 system.
originally i was just going to switch over the hard drive and see what happens but after a little careful thinking i'm wondering if you have any advice for me before i do that so i don't mess it up.

driver backups? how is that done for ALL drivers?
reg backups? how is that done?

is there anything else i should do before making the switch?

thanks for ANY advice :)

You should backup everything you need and simply reinstall windows on the new rig,It's the only way you will get the best performance out of your system with the least amount of problems.

so far i have to say, the XFX GTX 260 is a SOLID card and is very professionally done!!! seriously, i don't impress easy but it feels awesome when your holding it!! and the box was GREAT!!
the corsair power supply was wrapped in plastic AND a extra cloth bag which i thought was cool. plus the box it came was GREAT!! even came with some little tie clips :clap:
the OCZ memory is super awesome looking and built solid!!
the cooler master 690 is an AWESOME case, very well built and looks great!!
and the xigmatek heatsink / fan is imperssive too! great build with the heat pipes lying DIRECTLY on the CPU!!!

i guess its the little things that impressed me with those things, just passing it along.

as for the OS, you have convinced me and it will be win7 RC1 64bti as i want to take advantage of DX10 and those 6gigs of gold RAM, but i have a few ????'s.

- will i be able to upgrade once the FINAL versions are released or is it fresh install time?

- will most of the programs i use work? i use EVERYTHING from PINNACLE to ADOBE CS3 MASTER COLLECTION to wallpaper master to daemon tools and of course the games, oldies like QUAKE III and the newer FAR CRY 2 / COD 5???

- how stable is a RC (release candidate)? have never installed a RC of anything before.

- so instead of making a backup, i'm to use a newer HDD since my older one was still IDE but now i will use a SATA HDD and that should also speed things up for me.

am off to 'find' a win7 RC 64bit version now and please, keep the tips coming, i'm very appreciative for everything :hap2:

thanks again!!!

You won't be able to upgrade once the final version of windows 7 comes out. It's still experimental in it's RC phase and while I have heard good things, there is no guaranteed reliability using release candidate software. There are still tons of program compatibility issues to be sorted out so don't expect every single thing to work.

so far i have to say, the XFX GTX 260 is a SOLID card and is very professionally done!!! seriously, i don't impress easy but it feels awesome when your holding it!! and the box was GREAT!!
the corsair power supply was wrapped in plastic AND a extra cloth bag which i thought was cool. plus the box it came was GREAT!! even came with some little tie clips :clap:
the OCZ memory is super awesome looking and built solid!!
the cooler master 690 is an AWESOME case, very well built and looks great!!
and the xigmatek heatsink / fan is imperssive too! great build with the heat pipes lying DIRECTLY on the CPU!!!

i guess its the little things that impressed me with those things, just passing it along.

as for the OS, you have convinced me and it will be win7 RC1 64bti as i want to take advantage of DX10 and those 6gigs of gold RAM, but i have a few ????'s.

- will i be able to upgrade once the FINAL versions are released or is it fresh install time?

- will most of the programs i use work? i use EVERYTHING from PINNACLE to ADOBE CS3 MASTER COLLECTION to wallpaper master to daemon tools and of course the games, oldies like QUAKE III and the newer FAR CRY 2 / COD 5???

- how stable is a RC (release candidate)? have never installed a RC of anything before.

- so instead of making a backup, i'm to use a newer HDD since my older one was still IDE but now i will use a SATA HDD and that should also speed things up for me.

am off to 'find' a win7 RC 64bit version now and please, keep the tips coming, i'm very appreciative for everything :hap2:

thanks again!!!

1.When 7 Is Finished a Released,You will have to do a fresh install.

2.I Dont know if those programs will work sorry

3.RC's arent all that stable from what i have heard.

4.Yes using SATA Instead of IDE You will notice a big difference

Although i recomend you with Vista 64 Bit :D

Back
Top Bottom