Re-imaging my computer

ukballer1012

Baseband Member
I've had this computer for like a year now so i figure i might as well re-image it. I know how to re-image my pc but i dont know the good way to do it. What specifically do i need? I think the answer is obviously an external harddrive (just checking if theres anything else) but what external harddrive should i buy? I know it's based on how much memory you want to back up but is there anything else i should look for in an external harddrive? Also is there anyway to quickly sum up how much mem i need other than looking in my C:? Grazie in advance.

Having an external drive is definitely a good idea. I personally stick to Western Digital drives and would recommend this one:
Newegg.com - Western Digital My Book Essential 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAF0015HBK-NESN

If you don't want to buy a new drive, you can partition out your current drive into two drives and move your data to the second drive by following this tutorial.
http://www.computerforums.org/computer-software-articles/windows-7-partitioning-your-drive-s-103453.html

Copy all the files to the data drive or your brand new external and reformat. Also, you mentioned that you have had the computer for about a year, so you either have Windows Vista or Windows 7. If you have either, you can install Windows on the drive without deleting the current files on the drive, but a complete format is always a good idea if you can without losing data.

Im going to go with the external harddrive. So is all i have to do is just back up my desired files on the EX HD and then just insert my recovery DVD that came with my PC and just follow instructions or something?

Back
Top Bottom