Re converting a router to a WAP

Reddwarf4ever

Beta member
Hi

Did this successfully once before......

Just tried doing the same again with a different router....a belkin router.

I disabled the DCHP, set the same SSID, set the frequency to a different setting than the main router, set the security level the same ( although I am confident this step was done ok, it seems likely this maybe where the problem lies ), set the same WPA shared key.....then I set the IP address to one outside of the router ( not the WAP DHCP range) range using the same subnet as the router i.e 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 so I set the WAP to 192.168.0.200....

Also once the WAP IP is changed, I am unable to access it when connected to my pc via a LAN ethernet lead to my pc.

As I said the security setting was the only one that was not straight forward, as the description on the dlink 655 looked different than on the belkin.....

The strange thing is, that with the WPA plugged into the mains and connected to my pc via ethernet, picks up the internet from the wireless from my dlink, but when I try to connect my ipad wirelessly to the WAP it just whirs and does not connect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just realised i need to have an ethernet cable between router and WAP.....can't believe I missed this.

All working 100% now

Yeah good to have that as a backup in a pinch. But a repeater does a better job and doesn't need a jumper cable.

Back
Top Bottom