RDRam...WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Lol,

First off I must say that in the PC World, I haven't searched every nick and crany about PC Hardware but I know enough to build computers for a lifetime. Now, a friend who knows *NOTHING* about PC's excepting sitting down and playing PC Games comes up to me and tells me he is getting 512 Megs of RDRam. I corrected him saying SDRam or DDR but he said NO, RDRam! I have no clue what this RDRam is and he said its 2x better then DDR which I had to smack him for saying! He payed like 170 for 512 Megs for this RDRam:rolleyes:!

Is RDRam truley that great? I've found out Gateway and Alienware and sometimes Dell uses RDRam, but how good can It be for such a non-popular ram?

Martin

Daemon Poster
Unless I were using a P4 with HT technology, I wouldn't pay extra for RDRAM - maybe he just bought from purely looking at the specs. :\

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
He said his computer only supported RDRam...and then bringing it to Best Buy spending $25 to install the ram! I mean...common sense here, it doesn't cost $25 to take of the side and pop in ram! Then, his PC Crashed and didn't work! Haha, I don't know who Im laughing at more...him or BestBuy guy...

So...whats so great about RDRam anyways?

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
Theoretically, RDRAM is faster, as it has a 400Mhz bus speed, but considering it has much higher heat generation, and the price increase, and the fact that the Bus speeds on the mobo, PCI, etc, will bottleneck it, i dont see how its worth it.

Martin

Daemon Poster
High latency is also one of its biggest problems... which is a reason why it wasn't really adopted as a standard for graphics cards... except in a couple instances.

Shroud

In Runtime
RDRAM now has a FSB of 1066MHz.. so it is actually quite a bit faster and works great with a P4.. problem is it is uber expensive and in my opinion is not worth the extra cash.

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
thats funny, since the bus speed of the P4 is only 400Mhz, what good is that?

Shroud

In Runtime
Yes I know.. but hey, if you gotta have the newest stuff then there you go..

I personally have a AMD XP 2400+ with 1 gig DDR 3200.. so I am fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.