Raspberry Pi Case Mod Ideas?

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Hey, I'm gping to get my Raspberry Pi in a couple days. :)

I'm just wondering. Those premade cases just looks way too alien, and most of them aren't available in the US.

Why can't you just make your own? I know several people did. But from a computer modder's standpount, whats out there?

Like:

Take a As-is clear Gameboy color from ebay, take out the innards, and mod the sides out.

The Raspberry Pi is so small I think it would be tough to make a case for it, but not impossible. what materials are you considering? Wood would be easy to work with or even some sheet metal but in order to make square openings for usb ports and such you will need to take your rough design to a local machine shop. you can use some square wood piece lengths to fashion a break to bend the sheet metal evenly. Lay-out everything when your sheet metal is flat and get your holes punched out and then make your bends to fit the Pi board. It'll take some work and ingenuity but can be done

Lego seems to be the material of choice for most people.
It fit very well within a Lego enclosure.

But I am thinking a case out of wood would be pretty nice to make.
Though when you get the RasPi, it does say not to cover it, but I'm sure with properly placed holes/vents it should be fine.

In the RasPi forums, there is a section dedicated only to cases, can get some ideas from there I am sure.
Raspberry Pi • View forum - Cases

I see some cases that cover it. I think that's just a precaution. As Intel or AMD warn not to overclock them. Yet we still do. ;)

True.

I would be interested in making a case out of wood, but I don't have any woodworking skills.
Guess this is another thing I will do with my dad.

If you want something cheap just to put it in a case for something and don't have any grand ideas for a unique case yet... could always just go with a project box like one of these from RadioShack:

Search Result

Then just use a Dremmel or something similar to cut out the ports.

Oh, goodie. I just found a printout. Spoosed to be used with cardboard, but can incorporate that with any material I guess. Shows the pinouts of the ports.

http://squareitround.co.uk/Resources/Punnet_net_Alpha3.pdf

Very nice but I do not see any physical measurements on that printout, There's a lot of very good ideas out there. maybe you can incorporate a Pi into an arm chair and make a nice htpc with a built in keyboard and wireless to the led tv.....LOL

Very nice but I do not see any physical measurements on that printout, There's a lot of very good ideas out there. maybe you can incorporate a Pi into an arm chair and make a nice htpc with a built in keyboard and wireless to the led tv.....LOL

Well, just print it out yourself, take a ruler. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom