Random virus popups when viewing TF????

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
For some reason, I get a random threat detection via AVG. I had this issue with a site once before and it was due to some strange format issue I think.

Anyways, it's incredibly rare, but, it's starting to become somewhat annoying as I know there isn't a single thing here harmfull.

Here is a screenshot I took of it, it appears to be a cookie in use on TF? I have no clue really, but, AVG has picked it up numerous times before, but as I said, it's very random, and seems to only pop up when I go by certain posts by people.

virusidunthink.jpg

I would think a report to AVG would be in order more than a report to us. We have HTML off, we have links off in the Virus area. We have been scanned by various Site Advisors. So we all know that there isnt anything on this site. I would think AVG would have to correct this and get it fixed since it is their program that is causing the issues.

Cant you pinpoint which users are causing the reports?

I usually notice Harper having a reply in the thread, but, as I said, it's very random, but his particular posts always seem to somehow be in the thread when it randomly happens. I opened the document after shutting AVG down, nothing appeared out of usual about it, so I am somewhat, incredibly confused.

Edit: In particular, this link seems to actually produce constant results. http://www.techist.com/forums/f6/cat-name-suggesstions-238219/

Edit: I think I found it, if Harper or an admin doesn't mind, can they change Harpers sig to exclude "Solutions for all your I.T. problems. Just add the following command to your autoexec.bat file : Format C:/AUTOTEST/U" or atleast break it up a bit, for some reason I feel as if AVG is being picky about autoexec.bat being in there.

Edit: It does have something to do with his signature. I have a feeling, as firefox caches the text, and I re-visit a thread, FF loads that cache file so I don't have to download the text again, well, AVG seems to see the autoexec.bat as a potential hazard. And just so yall know, this thread also throws the false positive since pasting that text into it, I know it's an issue with AVG it self, but, it has been present since like 8.x, and AVG can't do anything because it shouldn't be throwing Virus Found BAT/Formatx errors in that manor, and they just won't fix it from what I have gathered. Oh well, I am hitting the sack.

It is an issue specific to AVG then i think AVG should fix it. I have never seen this with MSE, Avast, BitDefender or Eset. You even admit that it is an issue with the program, which is AVG cares enough they should fix it. There is no reason why it does this as it shouldnt. That is a problem that needs to be addressed by them, not by our site.

They need to be notified and they need to address it. I will send Harper a PM and ask him to modify his signature. I will not go in and do it without his permission. The only time any staff member will edit a signature is when it violates the rules of the site. This is not, therefor it is upon the member to either grant us permission or to edit it themselves.

AVG can't fix it because that is how it scans, and what makes it nice, it's been scanning like this for a long time, I just never could figure out what would make it think there is a batch file in the site. -.- And AVG says it don't throw those errors. Oh well, I will tell it to ignore my cache folder.... BTW Mak, you don't have to be so.... Ehhh... Harsh sounding towards meh. How was I supposed to know what it is? I only found it to be his sig when I saw autoexec.bat in it.

So your telling me that just by having text on a screen that isnt executable in any way is considered problematic and an possible infection? Besides the fact you cant download it, you cant run it nor can it affect you in anyway by having it on your screen is a nice feature? I hope you dont go to 4Chan with AVG as it would be popping up all the time then. If it thinks that just having text on a screen for a bat file is infectious. Sorry but the program should be able to distinguish between text on a web page and something that is potentially dangerous for a user. If Avast, Eset, BitDefender and MSE can all figure it out, then me thinks AVG could as well.

I am not harsh sounding. I am being dead honest. It is text. It is not executable, it is not downloadable it is nothing more than words just like these ones i am typing now. AVG is having a problem making the difference between normal text and a file that can inflict damage to your PC and you say it cant be fixed and it is a nice feature? Something about that isnt right. Cause to me that is a problem. It should be able to distinguish the difference.

Now if this stuff was in putted into a command prompt or something, then yeah i could see AVG going off. But to have it on screen is just too much.

You do sound a little miffed Mak :p not saying that's how you ARE feeling, we've been through this conversation before I know lol

Corrosive, I'd say Mak is right. AVG is the problem here, mebbe send them a bug report. Harper probably won't mind changing his sig slightly anyway though, so it's a win-win.

Oh, it has triggered on 4chan in the past, but I never thought anything of it, but it has only happened before when the page didn't change on 4chan, so FF would load a pre-cached file. It is the fact that firefox is opening a pre-cached file for all the text, and AVG thinks that firefox is trying to execute the line. I have set the cache folder as an exception in AVG, while it's not a true fix, it works.

BTW, does ANYONE have a link to where I can submit this bug, along with the file that FF generates when caching text of a particular page, this is a bug with how it scans, but it's also intended to operate this way, but, as I said, it's a bug, and an odd one at that.

Back
Top Bottom