Random restarts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiCkItY_ReD

Solid State Member
I am in a desperate desperate situation of insane frustration. I've tried tech support, and several forums, as well as a couple of hours each day for the past 2 weeks trying to sort this out and it's just not working. So if any of you solve my problem, i'm owe you a life debt :D

The story is, my last computer packed in, so i've just spent shy of a grand building my new uber gaming machine. The building process went fine, had to buy a new PSU that would fit the case, and had a snag with needing to reinstall the OS, but once that was out of the way the computer ran fine and nice and speedy. However it keeps getting these random restarts every 5 minutes, to every 4 hours. It's a clean reboot with an error report once the computer boots back up.

My CPU temp is about 45 and my motherboard temp is about 50. The case is huge and has 3 fans, CPU fan is working, and GFX card fan is working. I've tried 2 different hard drives, and my PSU is a brand new 550W. I keep wanting to blame the mobo but i can't be sure; i've updated the mobo BIOS, chipset drivers, onboard sound drivers, and my GFX card drivers. I don't know much about the BIOS, but i've had a bit of a fiddle to no avail. One thing which keeps nagging me is that i plugged an IEEE 1934a cable into a USB slot on the motherboard, something which the manual said will damage the motherboard. However the computer didn't run for very long with this mistake before i solved it. Have i damaged the mobo?

Even some advice on what is likely to be causing the problem would be great. Is this a software thing, a bios settings thing, should i be buying a different motherboard, or the same motherboard again? I'm at the end of my tether and a solution to this would make my month.

My specs are:

M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+
2*512 sticks of DDR2 667 (5300) RAM
Geforce 7900GTX PCI-E
Antec True power 2.0 550W PSU

I switched my 2 ram sticks into the alternative slots, though the manual calls them A2 and B2 (Surely the RAM should go in the "1" slots?), and now it seems (we'll wait and see, i'm prepared for dissapointment) to be working ok. If this has cured the problem, does that mean i've got faulty RAM slots?

Assuming that your using Dual Channel RAM, you should have the 2 sticks in the matching slots... From the screen shots I saw of that ASUS motherboard, there are 2 black slots & 2 yellow slots. Put the ram in either BOTH black or BOTH yellow slots... this will enable the dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom