Random Reboots (Headphone plugin, tap)

taekwondodogoof

Baseband Member
I've had trouble lately with my computer randomly restarting. Whenever I plug in headphones, give a slight tap on top, or sometimes just in the middle of use. I have a 600 watt PSU, and a custom computer. This has just started recently, and I've had the comp about 6 months. I've overclocked the CPU some, but it happened before I did that. (E6600 CPU to 2.7Ghz)

What was the stock speed of the processor? Also, when you said when you tap the top of the computer, it restarts. Sounds like a loose or faulty connection somewhere. Re-build the computer, checking everything as you go along.

Stock speed of e6600 is 266, and I bumped to 300. Also, I'll check the wiring.. but I don't know why it would start randomly one day or plugging headphones to the front part would do anything.

Do u plug it into a soundcard? IF so make sure the soundcard is in correctly, my pc kept crashing when the headphones were plugged in cos the card was slightly lose, so when i pushed in the socket, the card moved causing it to crash.

If its a panel connector, ie not on the sound card but elswhere in the pc, check to make sure that whenever u push something into the jack socket, the board behind it with the circuitry on isnt pushing against anything metalic causing a short.

I have a picture of my case to help elucidate. Computer Case Pic

It's when I plug into that side audio port/usb area. If I even lightly touch it, it flips too. I can't really get to where it's touching inside the case though, it's sorrounded by other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom