Random Reboots (Headphone plugin, tap)

taekwondodogoof

Baseband Member
I've had trouble lately with my computer randomly restarting. Whenever I plug in headphones, give a slight tap on top, or sometimes just in the middle of use. I have a 600 watt PSU, and a custom computer. This has just started recently, and I've had the comp about 6 months. I've overclocked the CPU some, but it happened before I did that. (E6600 CPU to 2.7Ghz)

joxley1990

Golden Master
What was the stock speed of the processor? Also, when you said when you tap the top of the computer, it restarts. Sounds like a loose or faulty connection somewhere. Re-build the computer, checking everything as you go along.

taekwondodogoof

Baseband Member
Stock speed of e6600 is 266, and I bumped to 300. Also, I'll check the wiring.. but I don't know why it would start randomly one day or plugging headphones to the front part would do anything.

Anubis1980

Daemon Poster
Do u plug it into a soundcard? IF so make sure the soundcard is in correctly, my pc kept crashing when the headphones were plugged in cos the card was slightly lose, so when i pushed in the socket, the card moved causing it to crash.

If its a panel connector, ie not on the sound card but elswhere in the pc, check to make sure that whenever u push something into the jack socket, the board behind it with the circuitry on isnt pushing against anything metalic causing a short.

taekwondodogoof

Baseband Member
I have a picture of my case to help elucidate. Computer Case Pic

It's when I plug into that side audio port/usb area. If I even lightly touch it, it flips too. I can't really get to where it's touching inside the case though, it's sorrounded by other stuff.