Random power off problem

Metalwolf

Baseband Member
I have a problem with my pc that started tonight. here is the story. I was in my room talking to my dad and working on my computer when all of a sudden it powers off. I press the power button thinking it could be a crash but the only thing that happened was the power light turning on. the cooling fans didn't turn on, the HDs didn't spin up, nothing happened. Then I could recognize a burning smell. I unplugged my PC to see what happened and if there was any damage. everything looked ok. I put the PSU in my other PC to test it and it worked just fine. I wanted to do one last test on my pc with the block to verify the board was dead but when i hooked it up again it worked just fine. I figured it was a fluke so I started using it again. It worked just fine until a hour and a half later when it powered off again. I think the PSU is on its last legs, what do you guys think?

Metalwolf

Baseband Member
it came with the pc case so its generic most likely. it was a very faint smell but it is the burnt hardware smell that is easy to identify. i tested the pc again a while ago and it worked. i only let it post though, i didn't let it load the OS.

mammikoura

Golden Master
like true folder said nose test is the way to go. Test the psu first. If it smells burnt (even a little) I'd just throw it away.

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
like true folder said nose test is the way to go. Test the psu first. If it smells burnt (even a little) I'd just throw it away.
well my psu went out and it dident smell burnt at all, it was like 6 years old and a very cheap brand though haha

Metalwolf

Baseband Member
All it says is ATX SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY. It came with the case for the computer I built myself around last September.