Random Chit Chat

With the schools back, going to work is a living hell :(
I know and that will cause a rize in Covid cases. The reason the pandemic never ended was because the traveling and mingling on Holidays iniciated by both foregners and locals without health screening! Most people do not care anymore if covid is out of control because they have one thing in mind. That thing in mind is money and greed so people make up excuses such as life has to go on and oh well people die for various reasons. People just dont seem to care if a loved one is in the hospital on a ventilator or if anyone within their own family dies. Covid appears to be on the back burner and no one wears masks and behaves as though the pandemic is over. I personally believe that society is insensitive and selfish in their own needs. It isn't fair to the ones acually attempting to protect themselves and others to walk into a grocery store with a mask on and find people coughing and sneezing everywhere without a mask or so much as to cover their mouths. It is scary to me when I go shopping for groceries and often find myself dodging other customers and running from them as well as hiding down iles where there is less traffic with less popular murchandice! There is a safe alternative to prevent a economic colapse and that is keep distance and wear a mask as well as issuing travel bans in dangerous areas where people may be exposed to Ebola. Most people do not follow these guidelines.

You are 100% correct Smart Guy. The above statement supports your reasoning. Schools back in session contribute to my statement above. It will be a living hell alright.

Xmas and NY over so now back to work and studying for my next Azure certifications, this time AZ400 which along with the AZ104 I already have, will get me the Certified DevOps Engineer Expert qualification. Which is cool, but I struggle with the energy to study after work.

With the schools back, going to work is a living hell :(
My only issues with it is that school buses are hella slow, and school zones. I live in a rural area so outside of the highways all the roads are two lane affairs with no shoulders, and most of them are narrow and curvy/hilly/both. Getting stuck behind a yellow behemoth going 15-20 mph and stopping at every other house drives me nuts. Thankfully I'm not on the road as much, and when I am I make a beeline for the highway to get me some four lane goodness.

I completely understand why school zones are there, but it is annoying when you are trying to get from point A to point B and the pickup line for an elementary school has the road blocked for what seems like an eternity. I will not speed in a school zone, however much I want to hurry up.

I know and that will cause a rize in Covid cases. The reason the pandemic never ended was because the traveling and mingling on Holidays iniciated by both foregners and locals without health screening! Most people do not care anymore if covid is out of control because they have one thing in mind. That thing in mind is money and greed so people make up excuses such as life has to go on and oh well people die for various reasons. People just dont seem to care if a loved one is in the hospital on a ventilator or if anyone within their own family dies. Covid appears to be on the back burner and no one wears masks and behaves as though the pandemic is over. I personally believe that society is insensitive and selfish in their own needs. It isn't fair to the ones acually attempting to protect themselves and others to walk into a grocery store with a mask on and find people coughing and sneezing everywhere without a mask or so much as to cover their mouths. It is scary to me when I go shopping for groceries and often find myself dodging other customers and running from them as well as hiding down iles where there is less traffic with less popular murchandice! There is a safe alternative to prevent a economic colapse and that is keep distance and wear a mask as well as issuing travel bans in dangerous areas where people may be exposed to Ebola. Most people do not follow these guidelines.

You are 100% correct Smart Guy. The above statement supports your reasoning. Schools back in session contribute to my statement above. It will be a living hell alright.
My only issues with it is that school buses are hella slow, and school zones. I live in a rural area so outside of the highways all the roads are two lane affairs with no shoulders, and most of them are narrow and curvy/hilly/both. Getting stuck behind a yellow behemoth going 15-20 mph and stopping at every other house drives me nuts. Thankfully I'm not on the road as much, and when I am I make a beeline for the highway to get me some four lane goodness.

I completely understand why school zones are there, but it is annoying when you are trying to get from point A to point B and the pickup line for an elementary school has the road blocked for what seems like an eternity. I will not speed in a school zone, however much I want to hurry up.
Yup, it was the traffic that concerned me. I commute ~140km daily and schools make exiting my city and entering the target city a true challenge mentally and physically (car MPG). And it's not just idiots, but somehow dare devils emerge along the way. Perhaps to reach their destination quick or simply challenge their own worth, dunno.

I'm a conserved driver and typically the victim in the road.

But I don't disagree with the health point as school days do increase crowds outside and air sharing. It's been noticed the attending classes increased health cases.

Where I live things are very well under control but no idea how the rest of the world fairs. You guys stay safe and God/goodness bless you.

Anyone else ever feel like they are under skilled and other people on the job market are just so much better than them ? I really beat myself up about it at times. Every day I find something new that I don't understand, and almost feel guilty about it. Like I don't know much about Kubernetes or Docker so i'm learning that at the moment, I'm also doing my AZ-400 exam study and realised I don't know much about centralised source control systems like TFVC and Subversion, or other CI/CD tools like Jenkins. Also feel like my coding skills are not as great as they could be, so i'm trying to learn Python and then some C# after. But I know once I learn these things, I will just find more things. It will never end, i'm not sure I will ever feel like I have a wide understanding of cloud tools, platform engineering etc.

At the same time, I *know* that I am being unreasonable to myself. 80% of the world uses Git, which I know. It's not reasonable to know the multiple tens of different source control systems. Kubernetes/Docker are important in platform engineering, devops etc, but that past two places I worked don't use them - so why would I know much about them ?. I go through this cycle of feeling guilty about not knowing things and then convincing myself i'm being too hard on myself. But I do kind of see it as a good thing in a way, as making myself learn these things will inevitably be useful.

Anyone else ever feel like they are under skilled and other people on the job market are just so much better than them ? I really beat myself up about it at times. Every day I find something new that I don't understand, and almost feel guilty about it. Like I don't know much about Kubernetes or Docker so i'm learning that at the moment, I'm also doing my AZ-400 exam study and realised I don't know much about centralised source control systems like TFVC and Subversion, or other CI/CD tools like Jenkins. Also feel like my coding skills are not as great as they could be, so i'm trying to learn Python and then some C# after. But I know once I learn these things, I will just find more things. It will never end, i'm not sure I will ever feel like I have a wide understanding of cloud tools, platform engineering etc.

At the same time, I *know* that I am being unreasonable to myself. 80% of the world uses Git, which I know. It's not reasonable to know the multiple tens of different source control systems. Kubernetes/Docker are important in platform engineering, devops etc, but that past two places I worked don't use them - so why would I know much about them ?. I go through this cycle of feeling guilty about not knowing things and then convincing myself i'm being too hard on myself. But I do kind of see it as a good thing in a way, as making myself learn these things will inevitably be useful.
Stop. You are comparing yourself to specialized individuals. That's fine if you are trying to get into that niche market, but is useless otherwise. If you are wanting to get into some of these things then by all means dive in... but trying to get into all of them will just burn you out and bring you nothing but disappointment. Take what you know and enjoy and expound on it. You will do much better in a role that suits you instead of trying to fit into a job just for the prestige or pay.

Kinda same for me but with a twist.

People keep telling me my English and social skills are good. I know my English has much to be desired and sure as heck my social skills are a mess. I envy others for their easy outgoing in English and social skills and wish I could be like them. Maybe they think I'm socially good cuz people are drawn to me for being a simpleton. So many people pass by me at work and call me by name and I don't recognize almost all of them (who the heck was that??). I don't even know how to scold a child. I'm a social dropout (not sure if this is a real expression), deal with it :p

But that's just me. Don't compare yourself to others and just live your life the way you know.

Stop. You are comparing yourself to specialized individuals. That's fine if you are trying to get into that niche market, but is useless otherwise. If you are wanting to get into some of these things then by all means dive in... but trying to get into all of them will just burn you out and bring you nothing but disappointment. Take what you know and enjoy and expound on it. You will do much better in a role that suits you instead of trying to fit into a job just for the prestige or pay.
If I remember he's a DevOps engineer and they get paid well to know most of what he's talking about. IMO I think that position was created specifically for SAs that knew more than the average SA. I'm dealing with the same problem, as I need to learn Kubernetes as well.

Aye, those things are DevOps Engineer things.. but there are *lots* of DevOps Engineer things and I would be impressed if I came across an engineer that knew even half of them. You've got PowerShell, Terraform, ARM, BICEP, Terragrunt, Ansible, Jenkins, Puppet, Helm, Docker, Chef, Pulumi, Datadog, Git, Kubernetes, ELK Stack, Nuget, Python... just off the top of my head. And that's just the cross platform tooling. You ofcourse then need all the Azure/AWS or GCP knowledge e.g. AKS, UDR's, Enterprise Apps, Key Vault, SA's, Azure Policy and Azure Monitor, so on and so forth and whatever all the AWS / GCP equivalents are. I dunno I just find it a bit of an overwhelming arena, there is such a huge amount of tools and broad base of knowledge to acquire. And really the things I just mentioned are just the automation technical parts, you're also supposed to know all the softer side of things like software development life cycle, Agile, Scrum, burnup rates, burndown rates, story sizing, boards, processes and so on.

I feel I know maybe 10% of whats out there in the DevOps world. It seems huge. I know software development is a tough job and is most definitely a very good skillset that I do not really have, but when I look at software jobs 90% of them just seem to use Visual Studio and C# and it makes me a tad jealous of the simplicity lol. Though I am probably misremembering, i'm sure there is more complexity in software jobs too if I took the time to look at them properly.

Aye, those things are DevOps Engineer things.. but there are *lots* of DevOps Engineer things and I would be impressed if I came across an engineer that knew even half of them. You've got PowerShell, Terraform, ARM, BICEP, Terragrunt, Ansible, Jenkins, Puppet, Helm, Docker, Chef, Pulumi, Datadog, Git, Kubernetes, ELK Stack, Nuget, Python... just off the top of my head. And that's just the cross platform tooling. You ofcourse then need all the Azure/AWS or GCP knowledge e.g. AKS, UDR's, Enterprise Apps, Key Vault, SA's, Azure Policy and Azure Monitor, so on and so forth and whatever all the AWS / GCP equivalents are. I dunno I just find it a bit of an overwhelming arena, there is such a huge amount of tools and broad base of knowledge to acquire. And really the things I just mentioned are just the automation technical parts, you're also supposed to know all the softer side of things like software development life cycle, Agile, Scrum, burnup rates, burndown rates, story sizing, boards, processes and so on.

I feel I know maybe 10% of whats out there in the DevOps world. It seems huge. I know software development is a tough job and is most definitely a very good skillset that I do not really have, but when I look at software jobs 90% of them just seem to use Visual Studio and C# and it makes me a tad jealous of the simplicity lol. Though I am probably misremembering, i'm sure there is more complexity in software jobs too if I took the time to look at them properly.
Yea you went into territory I refuse to go into. Over here DevOps guys can earn 150k+ easily if you know what the employer is looking for. That's great and all, but I'm an SA/Server/infrastructure engineer, not a fucking software guy. I have dipped in a lot of those things, but one of the reason I stick to Windows based jobs is because I don't have to deal with 80% of that. I will only have to deal with Kubernetes if I stick with this job the next 5ish years because our top management was convinced to go container. That's fair, it's a much more viable solution for our environment than Hyper-V which keeps fucking up. Thing is as somebody IMO in the upper echelon of my skillset and position I don't really want to learn a completely new environment and retain the pay I'm in which was granted to me for my ability in Windows based environments. Usually I'd say I'm just being stubborn but I'm in the majority with my coworkers, none of us want to start from scratch like we just picked up a new career and job. I would say the deepest thing we go into in that list is Shell and Azure. Hell I'm even learning SQL because we let go our Sr DBA and I'm over here like I'm not a DBA. I do it because I like my job and it helps my coworker, but if I learned enough DBA stuff just make me a DBA and pay me DBA money. I could look at it like "well I'm being paid Sr money to be a noob and learn something I could move to another job and get paid more" but man I really don't want to. At that point it'd make more sense to just ramp up my business and take on managed contracts so I could be my own boss and do the work I want to do. Maybe I'm just being naive and stubborn, but honestly after all the trauma I got from Lockheed I'm enjoying being comfortable and liking my job.

Back
Top Bottom