Random Chit Chat

I installed dash cams and only I can see the footage. If that makes sense here at all.
Not the same context. In this case an entity (IAEA) was granted permission to install cams to monitor Iran's nuke program, but that entity can't view the footage from the cameras they wanted installed making it pointless to have the cameras to begin with. It's like allowing a security company to install cameras in your home but you can't view the footage.

That's what I'm implying :D
Oh sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

So I had an hour long meeting with a recruiter yesterday which shed some light on a few things. I put in a few apps on their site directly that they had available and this person recognized my name and resume so she setup a time to catch up and see where I'm at. We last spoke in 2018 and the status quo has changed greatly since then and she was surprised. I honestly told her I'd be ok with the job I applied for and she straight up said you're worth way more than that. Conversation lead to what I want vs what I've been doing, salary expectations which have dropped considerably since 2018, and talked about my exceptional ability to go in circles while simultaneously downplaying my abilities and confusing people. Apparently my biggest problem is I will downplay my own experience and ability compared to my expectations of a role. So for instance I never apply to Network related positions, because although I can do a lot IN networking I don't consider myself to be a Network professional. And she brought up the topic because she said "well this isn't a Network Engineer role where you are designing infrastructure and topology or rebuilding an existing one. This is a Network Admin role where the manager just wants somebody with the ability to remotely manage networks, knows switching, port forwarding, security, firewalls, etc". I said "The irony is I can do both I just don't consider myself a network professional" then she said "That, that right there. Most people don't have a rack of enterprise gear, and most SAs don't handle networking like you have in previous roles". My defense was basically SAs are supposed to be a jack of all trades and at IconicIT the SAs definitely handled networking. Like full on top to bottom networking. My area of expertise is basic compared to say, the guys handling the BGP and DNS global issues when Facebook crashed. If you asked me how it worked I could explain it to you, if you asked me to set that up I wouldn't have a clue where to start lol. When you talk about my ability in an area I consider myself an expert when I can recite by memory how to do things, vs if you ask me about the OSI model I couldn't tell you what the layers are by heart. Which she understood, but then proceeded to tell me I need to stop doing that, and that I can definitely apply to networking positions and that my SA role at Lockheed is technically a DevOps role they didn't want to pay for. Which makes sense to an extent I suppose. Then she sent me an app in Docx form for the Network Admin job she was referring to, and told me what the manager wanted. When you hear what the manager wants vs what the app calls for it's completely different. I proceeded to explain that to her and said this is precisely WHY I don't apply for these. I don't have a CCNA, Net+, Bachelors in Comp Sci, 5+ years of network management, and never touched an SD-WAN. This leads me to believe it might be stuff I can't do and downplay it. Am I wrong?

And please explain to me why a Network Admin role which I assume is more level 2, starts at 60k; to simply monitor networks, handle patching and ACLs, update firewalls, and remotely manage wireless networks. Compared to say an SA which does objectively way more and usually starts around 55k. Hell a lot I've seen are even as low as 50k.

Last edited:
Dunno what to say except good luck. You deserve better.
Thanks I appreciate that, but I wouldn't say I deserve better. I mean I have my own business, I'd rather flourish in that rather than depend on another company to pay my bills. My biggest complaint about it all is that the field is so messed up these days that none of it really makes any sense.

Hey Guys.

So its been quite a while since I have been on the forums proper. I've still been trying to keep up too date as much as possible. I'm heavily in too ticktok at the minute. As much as I have lost quite a bit of interest in a good few things their are several things that have peeked my curiosity and I've fired up the ol' Linux box tonight too see what I could find out on such things.

Is it just me out their who is interested in say for example, the Mandela effect, aka false memory. I watch a lot of ticktok, and man o man their are some wild ideas out their when it comes to all sorts of various conspiracy theories. I'm interested a few things but man. For example, how do you guys feel around the pandemic. Any conspiracy theorists on here that believe we are under some sort of attack, or being culled as a population.

I'll go first.

In December 2019 as we know china had the outbreak of the coronavirus hence in four months it was global and if not bang on four then five. Being under cooked Bat meat from what I know I'm not one too believe in all the crap about any particular conspiracy theory. Now that said, I do have my reserves about the vaccine where my health is concerned. Especially my mental health what is why I have openly refused the vaccine. Can someone tell me if this is true but I was trold it takes 10 years to develop a vaccine. IMO their are just too many unknowns and I'm not putting those chemicals in my body with the medications I take. People have heart attacks, strokes, tremors, death rates apparently going up since the start of the vaccine roll outs .

Any one else out their not having the vaccine? Or is it just me. I'll stay logged on the forums for a while yet.

Also, hope everybody is doing okay. Keeping well and best they can.

PS: It actually feels quite nice to be posting after such a long time propperly. I've really missed the forums .

:p

Finally home for a while. Memphis was decent enough with plenty of great food but I am happy to back in my own space. The dog was overjoyed to see me, the cat was indifferent... go figure.

Any one else out their not having the vaccine? Or is it just me.
I opted to get it. I work in/with the public and was mainly in the Atlanta area. I have multiple "co-morbities" (damn stupid word) so getting it would be extremely dangerous for me personally. But I am not one of those people who walk around in a mask 24/7 wearing latex gloves while disinfecting everything; rather I live and work like I always have. If some place requires a mask I will mask up but only then; no where around here requires it, nor did Memphis when I was out there this past week. My wife and her mother have opted to not take it but my mom did. Honestly it isn't a big deal but I do oppose any mandate which forces people to take it or else.

This is basically me with my other health concerns. Mainly my mental health, and the fact their are too many unknown possibility of side effects we don't know about yet. The vaccine was developed as far as I'm aware in under twelve month and it takes ten years to produce and trial a vaccine for safe human consumption.

Our Government from what I've heard as I don't watch the news 24 / 7 is trying too get as many people as possible vaccinated and from what I've been told by family their is going to be consequences for people who don't. I'm not 100% on this but from what I have seen on the news they could be right . I don't watch the main stream media
news as I do believe it is controlled to an extent what they will can or do say.. Then even they have an opinion .

As for masks, I carry one in my pocket 24 / 7 simply because I don't want to be fined what the police over here will and have done on many occasions to people. If I have to, I will wear it but I genuinely don't bother most times.

During the lock downs, it was business as usual for me, only thing I done was go to the shops for my Grandmother more who I was shielding . At first everybody took it serious then come the second in august last year everyone from what I personally seen must of said F this, and just went about their usual business while being on the UK Government Furlough Scheme . Honestly speaking trotter, from what I saw and witnessed most people said F this and refused to say in the house house for a further 4 weeks in the lock down of august last year. Now we are going to be going in to our fourth lock down after the new year.

As for the conspiracy theorists, well meh. I know I'm not as clued up as most people but it genuinly doesnt bother me as long as people don't bother me with their sh** trying to force me to get the vaccine. Being bullied by the media and family of all people.

I am vaccinated myself but one has to question as to why doctors and nurses are refusing to get jabbed?

On another strange note.....Why do I see people wearing masks while they are by themselves in their car?

Back
Top Bottom