Random Chit Chat

I have a love/hate opinion of Amazon. What about the rest of you?

I love the wide selection and easy shopping for virtually anything. I love the free shipping (Prime) and the ability to get things delivered in less than 24 hours in many cases. They make returns so easy and hassle free.

On the other hand, I hate how Amazon is pretty much killing off all of the brick and mortar stores. Just a few days ago, my favorite store of all time, Fry's Electronics, announced they were closing all of their stores as well as their website and calling it quits. Many of you may have never heard of Fry's but it was a decent sized chain with 31 stores in 9 states. I have been shopping at Fry's for many years, starting with the original store in Sunnyvale, CA in the late 80's. I worked in the silicon valley and spent many of my lunch breaks wandering the aisles of Fry's ogling all of the tech stuff they had on their shelves.

Fry's isn't the only store that has been forced to close, there have been many others but it is the one I will miss the most. The pandemic contributed to Fry's demise but the chain was in serious decline well before the pandemic started.

Amazon's existence may not be the only reason traditional brick and mortar stores are dying but it is a major cause.

The pandemic had absolutely nothing to do with Fry's taking an absolute shit on itself lol. Fry's has been irrelevant since before 2010 and around 2015 their stores just started to become a ghost town. People I know that worked here in the DFW locations have all said the same thing, mismanagement. They were sitting on empty locations due to lease agreements and Covid was a great excuse to finally pull the plug like many other big chains that have been failing. Big companies like that which have been around since the 80s and early 90s just didn't adapt at all to the new market but it's not just electronic stores. JC Penny which has been around since before all of us is struggling to keep up too. The pandemic only put more pressure on an already unsurvivable market of floating profits and budgets. Next I'd like to see take a dive is big brand overpriced clothing names like Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister, etc. The whole big profit big box big store has been in crippling decay for over a decade. The ones that survived last year and will survive this year will be marked as the ones that made way too much profit on their materials.

I agree. I don't understand how Amazon could get away with what they do. They under price all electronic books much cheaper than the book stores! and after the brick and mortar book stores close down Amazon jacks up the price for electronic books! We all know that it is way cheaper to produce an electronic book versus a hard back or even a paper back book. I don't get how the U.S. govt did not step in to stop this scam, it should be illegal in the way Amazon closed all book stores and then raise the prices of books. And this all happened way before Covid

I agree. I don't understand how Amazon could get away with what they do. They under price all electronic books much cheaper than the book stores! and after the brick and mortar book stores close down Amazon jacks up the price for electronic books! We all know that it is way cheaper to produce an electronic book versus a hard back or even a paper back book. I don't get how the U.S. govt did not step in to stop this scam, it should be illegal in the way Amazon closed all book stores and then raise the prices of books. And this all happened way before Covid
They get away with it because it's legal and they don't require the upkeep these brick and mortar stores have. Having a store without the financial backbone of a giant means you need to price your goods accordingly to stay afloat. When your competitor lowers their prices below what you can afford you figure out a way to compete or go under. Things like Amazon also made people realize just how much they were overpaying for certain things by physically going to the store.

I don't use Winamp regularly. Only for that equalizer preset (did I mention it rocks?) and formats MPC-xx cannot play like Trackers. Oh, and to convert stuff to MP3 thru a disk writing plug in. Anything with audio can be converted, or rather instantly streamed, to MP3 or WAV.

Still fine, about to play some Valheim and see if it reboots. What I don't understand is if it was the graphics driver why my bios would reset to default like a failed OC.
older bios can get buggy, I mean if you do a lot of updates on it, the writes on the chip can get corrupted over a length of time/updates. You can get new cmos chips. I could be out in left feild on this, but from my weak understanding, cmos chips memory is very similar to the type of memory used in ssd drives

Back
Top Bottom