Random Chit Chat

Ah, I'm debating anything. Not every shared thought is a debate, trust me.

Besides, you said it, no matter how many tests are done on a beta, they don't prove something major to me. The max speed, ping, censorship... etc., okay, but a long run result I can't take seriously. And this is a shared service. And even in the final revision, as long as it is not open to public for sometime, testers are handful. Actual service will have at lease hundreds of users. No matter how much testers test, they will not, for example, hurt the sharing lanes the provider allot for different levels of subscribers (did they mention dedicated or leased lines?). Different stuff are different. Video cards and internet are different in how they are used. So are landlines and satellite connections. I do consider video card known reviewers.

My point is that "I" must test something like satellite internet, the way it should be used, myself. Or of course someone I can trust in this, like yourself. Unfortunately you didn't. And I asked it for this specific service and when it came into the discussion. Originally I was talking satellite in general, and only in my experience. I'm not debating anything, really. I'm not even considering it. I'm happy with my FTTH. If I said or implied I did, it was not intended. I tried it way back when we only had ADSL up to 256kbps. That was like 10 years ago. Tried two major services I even forgot the names. I think they were OpenSky and ShowNet or something.

But I understand. The internet has this strong influence making every statement feel like a debate :)

I hope by the time Breath of the Wild 2 comes out, Yuzu develops enough to run it with just little more coding. I don't like 30FPS and that cell-shading.
In this particular case I'm using the formal definition of debate, which is pretty much a conversation. Not debate as in argument like most people confuse; English is stupid. Wanting specific evidence or tests done to compare vs your own particular use case would definitely imply you would consider for yourself which is why I said that. Wanting somebody like myself to test or give you figures is moot if you feel any test is invalidated due to it being beta.

The way I look at it is very different. For one, it's not an apples to apples comparison like traditional satellite connections which keep being brought up. I keep repeating this because no matter how much scepticism and invalidation is pushed towards this system due to the past, it doesn't change that simple fact that they aren't comparable outside of [dish goes to thing in sky]. In fact, the only certification in technology I've ever gotten is a satellite communications certification that covers all forms and is why I can sit here and tell anybody, it's simply not the same. I actually even forgot I had that until this topic was brought up lol (I had to have it to work for Mastec). I compare this to our current 5G rollout rather, and that coincides with your example of sub level and dedicated/leased lines. They are building ground stations currently all over North America, which are being connected to some of the biggest dark fibre providers here (that answers that, leased). Each station has multiple uplinks which I'm sure are running some sort of multi-threaded compression (I'm talking split data streams, not CPU threads in software) to speed up transmission and decrease latency (they have multiple bulbs shooting up not just one large dish). The more of these they roll out, the more stable their backbone is here on the ground. This is more like the global 5G rollout than a traditional satellite connection because:
A: 5G requires multiple uplinks and ground stations connected to cores to supply bandwidth to multitudes of people over the air
B: Starlink is doing the same except shooting it in space which over time will act as backups if any other substation goes down
C: Traditional satellite communication is a singular large station transmitting to stationary units in space
D: The more ground stations you have, the more stable and consistent your connection to end users will be and thus the more users you can intake
E: The Starlink sats are interconnected with larger sats in a higher orbit to make more of a mesh rather than singular connection for redundancy and load balancing.
F: Space and ground mesh setup is more in line with a land based 5G mesh system for redundancy and load balancing.

E in particular is interesting because they needed to do this for two reasons. 1 being what I already mentioned. A mesh type system interconnected for redundancy and load balancing. 2 is the interesting part being that due to low orbit they are geared to fall and burn up in the sky one at a time and be replaced for the grid as a whole to maintain current trajectory and maintain service without any type of subscriber blackout. This is why the dish is engineered the way it is, because it's really connecting to multiple units rather than a singular one. Multiple dbs of connection to multiple sats is why things like clouds shouldn't interfere with signal outside of the grid being a much lower orbit than things like Hughesnet and DirecTV/Dish.
This is why they are able to maintain high sustained speeds and the beta proves this method is much more advanced and simply works a ton better than what we've been used to. When I mentioned earlier they are around "20%" of what they want in the air, that's just shy of 1,000 satellites. That many sats in orbit means they can hang over a multitude of base stations to maintain a solid grid connection and sustain speeds for subscribers. In comparison, Hughesnet has 2 sats in space (at least last time I read when they announced 100Mb service which I still don't see years later). A bigger comparison is as of 2016 DirecTV utilized only 3, with 3 others being phased out (I used to work heavily with Sat 119 when they rolled out SWM tech).

Hopefully this explains more in detail what I mean, and tbf both Linus videos combined provide most all of this info outside of my comparison to 5G.
Here's what one of their base stations look like.
https://interestingengineering.com/...spacex-starlink-ground-station-in-remote-city

I hope by the time Breath of the Wild 2 comes out, Yuzu develops enough to run it with just little more coding. I don't like 30FPS and that cell-shading.
Figured I'd separate these two, Cemu already does that as of last year. Here's a pic of me playing around 70fps with RT on, 4k, and shadows at 300%. The only problem is cel shading turned off makes everything look like clay. If BoTW 2 takes on a cell shaded approach it'll be much of the same.

Attachments

• CEMU Screenshot 2021.02.11 - 16.55.31.37.png
    CEMU Screenshot 2021.02.11 - 16.55.31.37.png
    872.4 KB · Views: 3
In this particular case I'm using the formal definition of debate, which is pretty much a conversation. Not debate as in argument like most people confuse; English is stupid. Wanting specific evidence or tests done to compare vs your own particular use case would definitely imply you would consider for yourself which is why I said that. Wanting somebody like myself to test or give you figures is moot if you feel any test is invalidated due to it being beta.

The way I look at it is very different. For one, it's not an apples to apples comparison like traditional satellite connections which keep being brought up. I keep repeating this because no matter how much scepticism and invalidation is pushed towards this system due to the past, it doesn't change that simple fact that they aren't comparable outside of [dish goes to thing in sky]. In fact, the only certification in technology I've ever gotten is a satellite communications certification that covers all forms and is why I can sit here and tell anybody, it's simply not the same. I actually even forgot I had that until this topic was brought up lol (I had to have it to work for Mastec). I compare this to our current 5G rollout rather, and that coincides with your example of sub level and dedicated/leased lines. They are building ground stations currently all over North America, which are being connected to some of the biggest dark fibre providers here (that answers that, leased). Each station has multiple uplinks which I'm sure are running some sort of multi-threaded compression (I'm talking split data streams, not CPU threads in software) to speed up transmission and decrease latency (they have multiple bulbs shooting up not just one large dish). The more of these they roll out, the more stable their backbone is here on the ground. This is more like the global 5G rollout than a traditional satellite connection because:
A: 5G requires multiple uplinks and ground stations connected to cores to supply bandwidth to multitudes of people over the air
B: Starlink is doing the same except shooting it in space which over time will act as backups if any other substation goes down
C: Traditional satellite communication is a singular large station transmitting to stationary units in space
D: The more ground stations you have, the more stable and consistent your connection to end users will be and thus the more users you can intake
E: The Starlink sats are interconnected with larger sats in a higher orbit to make more of a mesh rather than singular connection for redundancy and load balancing.
F: Space and ground mesh setup is more in line with a land based 5G mesh system for redundancy and load balancing.

E in particular is interesting because they needed to do this for two reasons. 1 being what I already mentioned. A mesh type system interconnected for redundancy and load balancing. 2 is the interesting part being that due to low orbit they are geared to fall and burn up in the sky one at a time and be replaced for the grid as a whole to maintain current trajectory and maintain service without any type of subscriber blackout. This is why the dish is engineered the way it is, because it's really connecting to multiple units rather than a singular one. Multiple dbs of connection to multiple sats is why things like clouds shouldn't interfere with signal outside of the grid being a much lower orbit than things like Hughesnet and DirecTV/Dish.
This is why they are able to maintain high sustained speeds and the beta proves this method is much more advanced and simply works a ton better than what we've been used to. When I mentioned earlier they are around "20%" of what they want in the air, that's just shy of 1,000 satellites. That many sats in orbit means they can hang over a multitude of base stations to maintain a solid grid connection and sustain speeds for subscribers. In comparison, Hughesnet has 2 sats in space (at least last time I read when they announced 100Mb service which I still don't see years later). A bigger comparison is as of 2016 DirecTV utilized only 3, with 3 others being phased out (I used to work heavily with Sat 119 when they rolled out SWM tech).

Hopefully this explains more in detail what I mean, and tbf both Linus videos combined provide most all of this info outside of my comparison to 5G.
Here's what one of their base stations look like.
https://interestingengineering.com/...spacex-starlink-ground-station-in-remote-city
Cool (y)

Figured I'd separate these two, Cemu already does that as of last year. Here's a pic of me playing around 70fps with RT on, 4k, and shadows at 300%. The only problem is cel shading turned off makes everything look like clay. If BoTW 2 takes on a cell shaded approach it'll be much of the same.
Yes, I'm aware of it. It's just that BOTW2 is not announced for the Wii U so I ignored Cemu. If it does come to Wii U it would be great.

Cell shade removed still looks better to me than being on. I played around with the settings, including the plastic thing, and it looked just fine.

The other problem with satellite that no one mentions, is that it is super unreliable an will work when it wants to.
Oh yeah... did i mention that 11mbps at 150 a month only comes with 100gb of data? It's stinkin expensive. And when it gets windy sometimes the satellite will move half an inch, and you have to pay for them to come and fix it.

Yes, I'm aware of it. It's just that BOTW2 is not announced for the Wii U so I ignored Cemu. If it does come to Wii U it would be great.

Cell shade removed still looks better to me than being on. I played around with the settings, including the plastic thing, and it looked just fine.
Ah yea, fair point. More than likely we won't see any real progress on Yuzu until the game is released and it'll take a few years before it's actually properly playable like BOTW on Cemu.
The other problem with satellite that no one mentions, is that it is super unreliable an will work when it wants to.
Oh yeah... did i mention that 11mbps at 150 a month only comes with 100gb of data? It's stinkin expensive. And when it gets windy sometimes the satellite will move half an inch, and you have to pay for them to come and fix it.
All addressed above, not applicable to Starlink.

Although Starlink is not the same as what Hughes satellite is, it will still have some of the same issues. Like weather conditions. You yourself did state this is in beta so the jury is still out on exactly how well this system is going to work.

Perhaps if the coverage is wide enough, dish adjustment won't be a huge issue? I've seen cars with satellite dishes, and cars move around (cars do move ahead and back too). Either the dishes adjust automatically or the coverage is so wide. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Ah yes, the weather is a factor too i have to go out there every morning in the winter and dust the snow off of it to make it work
lol... yup. I remember when I lived out in the country before cable was available and standing barefoot on a step stool in the snow with my robe on. I had to use a broom tied to a long stick to clean off the snow from my tv dish which was on the corner of my roof so I could watch the morning news. That sux'd

Back
Top Bottom