Random Chit Chat

Copper lines are not still there by choice. The awful infrastructure and priorities make them live for now since upgrades take time and they decided to still provide internet to the those still with it. FTTH is not everywhere around here. So it's not really a copper plan by choice. Those with no FTTH available for them with other existing old technologies around know how that feels. Different countries have their own different nonsense not every one aware of ;)

They tried hybrid copper-FTTH connections to provide better services too.

Remove that copper line plan and leave many souls with no internet at all. That's a a crime against humanity!

The beta does not have data caps and they don't intend on making a data cap.
That's why I said except to slow expensive speeds. How fast do unlimited satellite plans get and for how much?

I only tries one-way satellite internet and it was expensive. I guessing two-way is even more expensive.

I know dish had one sat for tv and another for internet. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to link them.
Like I said, very very different technologies. Starlink is not your traditional satellite system you've known for decades.
Copper lines are not still there by choice. The awful infrastructure and priorities make them live for now since upgrades take time and they decided to still provide internet to the those still with it. FTTH is not everywhere around here. So it's not really a copper plan by choice. Those with no FTTH available for them with other existing old technologies around know how that feels. Different countries have their own different nonsense not every one aware of ;)

They tried hybrid copper-FTTH connections to provide better services too.

Remove that copper line plan and leave many souls with no internet at all. That's a a crime against humanity!
At the end of the day what they say on paper and their website doesn't really matter. Traditionally copper vs coax vs fiber plans are separated because the technologies varied so much and coax/fiber was much more expensive and rare. Now that fiber is being rolled out practically everywhere the fine lines get thinner and these days the plans are only different because people on older technologies are getting fucked due to a monopoly system. That's kinda where I was going with that.
That's why I said except to slow expensive speeds. How fast do unlimited satellite plans get and for how much?

I only tries one-way satellite internet and it was expensive. I guessing two-way is even more expensive.
Already answered that. 100Mb for $99 a month unlimited with a 30ms ping. Up to 300Mb by end of 2021 once they establish their global grid.

A lot of misinformation on Starlink here due to too much assumption based on older Sat based technology. Suggest some peeps take a gander at both LTT videos on it.

Up to 300Mb by end of 2021
I'll only believe that when I actually can connect to that service. For years and years I've heard of this "great" satellite that Elon Musk has talked about but I'm not seeing that happen as of yet

Already answered that. 100Mb for $99 a month unlimited with a 30ms ping. Up to 300Mb by end of 2021 once they establish their global grid.
Did you test them personally? All those who tried such services complain on things like it's not that unlimited and speed slows down considerably before much bandwidth is used.

How was is when you tried them and was it comprehensive enough like big downloads within 24 hours?

Is $62 USD for a 100mbps/20mbps internet package (down/up) a good price? Suddenly they gave me this connection without a notification. It was 40/10 (55/10 effective) before. Originally it was 20/1 but it kept increasing with new pricing. Here when they upgrade a package they activate it for us immediately except for some rare cases.
I am paying 150 for 25mbps (and getting 11mbps)

The beta is already over 100Mb with a 30ms ping.....sometimes you gotta take the doubt goggles off.
I did view that video, and I thought it was still buggy, after they did lose their connection and had to reset. Cloudy weather and I'm sure in my area snow will have a very negative affect too. Latency is still an issue also. For the initial $500. hardware cost (and that is setting it up yourself) plus $100. starting for service for 100 to 300Mbps...eh. Only if I lived out in BFE and had no other choices. I still do not know if it is available in my area either.

Edit: I checked the Starlink web site and for $99. I could get my name on a list and wait......

Last edited:
Did you test them personally? All those who tried such services complain on things like it's not that unlimited and speed slows down considerably before much bandwidth is used.

How was is when you tried them and was it comprehensive enough like big downloads within 24 hours?
No, I have fiber and it's (Starlink) still in beta. I have thought about Starlink (post launch) as a backup for my WAN 2 port for when the fiber fails for whatever reason. I've also thought about using it for just the kids but that would be greedy lol.

I don't have the data you're after, and honestly what you're referring to is mainly only a shady cell service kind of things.
I did view that video, and I thought it was still buggy, after they did lose their connection and had to reset. Cloudy weather and I'm sure in my area snow will have a very negative affect too. Latency is still an issue also. For the initial $500. hardware cost (and that is setting it up yourself) plus $100. starting for service for 100 to 300Mbps...eh. Only if I lived out in BFE and had no other choices. I still do not know if it is available in my area either.

Edit: I checked the Starlink web site and for $99. I could get my name on a list and wait......
It's also still in beta with only about 20% or so of their grid in the air. The fact that right off the pop they are able to maintain 100Mb speeds and 30ms latencies in a beta is the clue of what's to come. Their issues are them being dumb and not properly setting it up like you would on a home. Their first test they literally sat the dish outside on the ground between two buildings and still got a 100Mb/30ms test.

I get the scepticism but you have to toss ALL of that traditional satelite knowledge aside as the only similarity between the two is they have sats above. Outside of that, quite literally everything else is different. The altitude range and their planetary orbit alone make it to where things like clouds don't have a huge impact on signal quality. The grid based receivers in the dish plus grid based interconnected system make that possible because unlike a traditional LMB based system you are not connected to a series of 1-5 stationary satellites in space. The load balancing grid and low altitude is how they are able to achieve 4x the speed (in beta) and the latency of traditional wifi compared to say Hughes. Speaking of them, they start at 5Mb and have a max of 25Mb with a 50GB (yes Gigabyte) data cap for $150/m. If you go with the purchase option it's $449 or if you lease it's 15 a month with 99 up front. When you add the 2000+ms of latency to any service on top of that, Starlink sounds like cable without the cable for those without a traditional connection available.

The speeds, latency, and service quality is backed up by many users who have already reported on it, not just Linus flashing a new toy for 5 minutes and not setting it up properly. It's legit and will only get better from here. 300Mb once fully operational isn't really a stretch. The biggest word in all of this is BETA, and this beta is better than most garbage games that are released in beta.

Back
Top Bottom