Random Chit Chat

Cpu's today have a thermal protection that prevents them from frying themselves, I think that the Phenom chips have a thermal throttle/shutdown too
Not in this case. I tried it on another board that it was originally on before this board. Wouldn't work. Found three sticks of ram that wouldn't work and with that one stick in i still couldn't get into bios. All four of those were matched and 3 of 4 were shot. Don't care what they may say but that CPU fried itself. The Paste on it was brown not grey. Major meltdown. Board wouldn't work with my Athlon 64X2 cpu and it wouldn't work after it was in the board that fried up. I tried it in the older board and nothing. Not even bios. Front panel led was blinking all the time except when i only had that one stick of good ram in it. I also had a couple of older sticks that was slower that i had on the older board. They worked last time i used them. Nothing. If they didn't have any issues, they would have worked. Don't matter i got a better system so not worried about it now. It was what it was.

That's why I found it weird that your fan breaking would kill the CPU... It should just overheat and then shut down.
It will only do that so many times and eventually get to the point to where it dies. Pretty common in laptops.
No doubt that Noctua is a very nice cooler and their fans have an incredible reputation for reliability and quietness.
But....for half the price you can get the popular Cooler Master Hyper 212 (black edition)
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Hyper...Cooler+Master+Hyper+212&qid=1605895380&sr=8-8
I linked the Noctua not only for resilience of fans, but for ease of install and forward compatibility.
If that was the case this board should fry too. I'm using the same PSU.
It'll take time. If a PSU has too much ripple or is slowly overvolting/undervolting (which could also kill fans) it takes it's toll over time.

My opinion, if RAM isn't working I feel the culprit is the board. AM2 and AM3 boards were not that great, and usually came with pretty slim VRM setups.

I could only know about the ram with the other board. Thats when i found out the ram was toast. They were really hot when i took them out!! If the PSU was going bad my friend would have seen it. He uses a older oscilloscope, hell i can;t remember everything he did but its a special tv type thing that can see differences with voltage spikes and stuff like that. He tested it out. He said there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Next
The rest of the fans including rgb types are all working and show no issues at all. I think that kinda kills the PCU issues. I don't think that the board itself could have cooked everything. one other thing, Why didn't the dvd burner and my Video card fry? I am using my GPU right now as this board has no video card on the Motherboard. Everything is working great with no issues but minor driver packages. I think those bugs are pretty much fixed. Things seem to be fixed and working really well. The cpu is a dual core at 3.7ghz. 16 gigs of ram and a pretty fast gpu. Its pretty good. faster than what i had. hard to believe a 2 core can beat out a 4 core. Anyway thats it. Time will tell if i have any other issues. I still plan if we get a good check in January to build a Ryzen 3 system. 4 cores will do anything i need with 16gigs of ram and my RX570, and my trusty old PSU. My computer case is around 5 years old now but there is nothing wrong with it. anyway, thats what i want. Thats the plan,and i can keep this one for a spare.

Could have the older board become cooked because i tried that 4 core cpu in the older board?? Or maybe the ram too?? I didn't try anything on the newer board. But couldn't get anything on that older board when i put the dual core back in it. I found the bad sticks of ram and changed but maybe that somehow did the older board in as well?? My direction of thought is newer board or 4 core somehow shorted out. Fried CPU or Motherboard itself. It seems more likely that it was the cpu as it wouldn't work in the old board i had. I went and installed the dual core thinking that the 4 core was bad. But it had somehow screwed up the older board as well. I found the 3 of 4 sticks that was bad (one at a time). So, I am at an idea that the 4 core was shot and because of that it shot the older board when i tried to use it along with the ram.. I accidentally found that the fan was bad on the cpu. Two fan Coolermaster. That sucks! I am thinking the cpu fried when the fan that died was the side that the other fan blew towards. slowed the speed of the air going threw that bad fan. Just to understand this, my CPU cooler was one that had two fans on it. One pushed and the other pulled. The fan that was pulling was the one that died. It was a Coolermaster and they are supposed to be a super good cpu fan cooling system. I still have questions but not much of any answers. The new system is working perfectly! It seems faster than my old 4 core system was. I think i will leave it alone and just run it like it is. If i get a new check from the feds, i will build a new Ryzen system and keep this old board for a backup.

Could have the older board become cooked because i tried that 4 core cpu in the older board?? Or maybe the ram too?? I didn't try anything on the newer board. But couldn't get anything on that older board when i put the dual core back in it. I found the bad sticks of ram and changed but maybe that somehow did the older board in as well?? My direction of thought is newer board or 4 core somehow shorted out. Fried CPU or Motherboard itself. It seems more likely that it was the cpu as it wouldn't work in the old board i had. I went and installed the dual core thinking that the 4 core was bad. But it had somehow screwed up the older board as well. I found the 3 of 4 sticks that was bad (one at a time). So, I am at an idea that the 4 core was shot and because of that it shot the older board when i tried to use it along with the ram..
THose AM3 boards are over a decade old, it's not uncommon for caps to start going bad and cook things.
Two fan Coolermaster. That sucks! I am thinking the cpu fried when the fan that died was the side that the other fan blew towards. slowed the speed of the air going threw that bad fan.
A single fan cooler would be fine, even if the other one was dead sitting there. You had something catastrophic happen to make your CPU cook and turn your paste brown like you said. Whatever caused this could cause the RAM to die and the rest of the board. A single fan not working wouldn't cause all of that. I can put my 940BE under a TRUE120 without any fans and it'd run warm but not hot enough to fry anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom