Random Chit Chat

i never had any issues with any versions of win 10.

maybe it's because i have a genuine license? :whistling:

I'm using an older board 2010 era Asus m3a78-em. Running a quad core 4 thread 940 on it with 8 gigs 800 mhz ram. Using a asus x 570 video card in it. Which has it's own 4 GB ddrr. It's good equipment but dated. I wish I could get windows 1909 to load instead of 2004. 2004 has a bunch of issues. That is what screwed up this computer so bad. It is showing three different user names and passwords for my license. Go figure out that one and we will both know wth...
I have a Foxconn A88GMV Deluxe paired with a 955BE, and an Asus M4N72-E (750a) paired with a 940BE both easy to get going retro or W10. Although the Foxconn was tossing ACPI blue screens the last time I tried using it.
Ha, found the dark theme! Now my eyes can rest in peace. Two pieces.

Problem with WinXP now, if not ever, even for those just trying to manage with the minimum, is the lack of a proper 64-bit version. Or so what I experienced. Many apps now come 64-bit only, let alone +4GB RAM. Chrome, AFAIK, does not officially support 64-bit OS's anymore. Perhaps even later 32-bit apps aren't WinXP ready too.

If I remember correctly, you can disable automatic updates in Win7. If true, just do that @Wallaby Dan . It's a good feature Win10 lacks. WIn7 is cool and a good jump from XP. Many later apps also still have Win7 on their requirements list but not XP in the most part.

Oh, I have an i5 750 from late 2009. This tells stories about the RAM and mobo too. Video card is a GTX 480 which is an early 2010 part. Win10 2004 worked just fine on it until I upgraded that build just two days ago with the i5 3570k I removed from my main computer for an i5 10600k (only mobo, CPU and RAM were the upgrade). Perhaps your newer build is giving you trouble because its on an AMD/ATI platform? My old beater is Intel/Nvidia. AFAIK, Intel and Nvidia have better and longer support than of AMD/ATI. But this is just a guess.
Do you mean upgrade the board and CPU with the 3570k? The P55 boards don't support IB processors. I still have an i5 750 and Gigabyte UD3R at my sisters house but I can't be motivated at all to go get it.

Windows 10 2004 makes subtle changes and the differing factors are independent pieces of hardware on each board that may or may not have broken support. I know my machines didn't want to auto update because of bluetooth support.

Do you mean upgrade the board and CPU with the 3570k? The P55 boards don't support IB processors. I still have an i5 750 and Gigabyte UD3R at my sisters house but I can't be motivated at all to go get it.

Windows 10 2004 makes subtle changes and the differing factors are independent pieces of hardware on each board that may or may not have broken support. I know my machines didn't want to auto update because of bluetooth support.

No, when I upgraded to the i5 10600k along with a mobo and RAM, I took the whole i5 3570k assembly as it is (CPU+RAM+mobo) and put it in place of the i5 750 assembly. I did that because the other parts from the old i5 750 build better fit with the 3570k. I also don't have an extra case for it. Maye I will make an emulation box with the i5 750 or something. I also used the GTX 680 4GB instead of the GTX 480 that was with the i5 750. I formed a habit in calling the CPU+mobo+RAM by the CPU only.

I love computers and can't leave a complete (or partially) set or parts lying around without building it even if I know I'm not gonna use it. Ijust set it up and cover it from dust feeling it could get in handy one day.

I must have confused things and Windows 10 didn't upgrade to 2004 on that i5 750. But Dan says it did for him and screwed things up. It either hiccuped and came in or he installed it manually.

Good afternoon. I hope everyone who lives on the east coast of the USA made it through the storm. And anyone over in Beirut prayers go out to you over there. I am back on 2004 for sure. Just checked. It didn't want to see my D: drive so i had to go back to the bios screen to get it to show in Windows. I am back on Google Chrome for now. Edge keeps trying but i am cutting it off at the pass. Going to install acrobat to really Piss off edge's pdf reader!

Celery, You have a Ryzen and new motherboard. Mine is 10 years old motherboard and old amd PSU. Mine is almost expected to have issues. That said, i didn't really have issues until this 2004 update was pushed. Almost right away i started having issues. I don't know what happened for sure but it is back in the computer. So far right now. I have older software downloaded into it. This time i stopped all updates and let me see what i want. i think i can dump the rest. Anyway. I am going to start looking and burning to memory sticks the drivers for XP pro 64 bit. I need driver packages for the router, drivers for the video, Older driver packages for Asus rx 570. Other than that the drivers from asus on there disc is not usable. Nothing really usable on that for me. If this thing starts acting up again, I will be going back to XP. It all depends on 2004. We shall see...

Good afternoon. I hope everyone who lives on the east coast of the USA made it through the storm. And anyone over in Beirut prayers go out to you over there. I am back on 2004 for sure. Just checked. It didn't want to see my D: drive so i had to go back to the bios screen to get it to show in Windows. I am back on Google Chrome for now. Edge keeps trying but i am cutting it off at the pass. Going to install acrobat to really Piss off edge's pdf reader!
Funny thing is Edge now uses Chromium so they're almost identical. Edge is now faster than Chrome.
Celery, You have a Ryzen and new motherboard. Mine is 10 years old motherboard and old amd PSU. Mine is almost expected to have issues. That said, i didn't really have issues until this 2004 update was pushed. Almost right away i started having issues. I don't know what happened for sure but it is back in the computer. So far right now. I have older software downloaded into it. This time i stopped all updates and let me see what i want. i think i can dump the rest. Anyway. I am going to start looking and burning to memory sticks the drivers for XP pro 64 bit. I need driver packages for the router, drivers for the video, Older driver packages for Asus rx 570. Other than that the drivers from asus on there disc is not usable. Nothing really usable on that for me. If this thing starts acting up again, I will be going back to XP. It all depends on 2004. We shall see...
Haven't tried XP x64 since the old days but if nothing's changed it's a turd and driver support is worse than Vista. I need to nLite me a copy of XP x64 just to mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom