Random Chit Chat

Yes you heard right, XP!! I have had it with this Windows 10 and all the headaches I am having. Since they put in the version 2004 this computer has had one issue after another. It will not play nice at all. So i can use the tablet till i am finished getting the computer done. Should have it working by this evening. Later, Dan.
Chrome won't work on XP now, and neither will Firefox if I remember right. If you truly want to use XP you gotta use a browser called Basilisk.

there's always a way around it. :thumbsup:
Have to use a precompiled version of Chrome which I think is 10 versions or more too old now. I do it to grab drivers for my retro machines, but it's not safe or smart for the average user. Basilisk is basically Firefox but updated for use on XP, better to use that instead.

I'm back. I tried XP but nothing would work. I reformatted it and the last time it did have some stability to it. Had a hard time getting drivers to work so i gave up and went to windows7. I had good luck in it but it was idle for awhile as i was having dinner. When i came back it had downloaded 2004 w 10! There is no way to keep it from wanting to download win 10. It will do it on its own, so i am back on win 10 pro 64 bit. I am really getting a case of the red ass with windows

The company's that sale hardware and new computers are making older drivers disappear or corrupt. Its getting really hard to get them to work. They don't want us to build our own. they want to sale junk and charge more as they make the money. I see it getting harder in the future that we won't be able to build our own Computers. Just my 2 cents

Companies are deprecating driver support for many generations old hardware yes, but you can still find drivers for older OS if your hardware is old enough. One reason I stick with Nvidia for my retro stuff is because they retain those legacy drivers on their site. Boards are a different story but I've been able to find stuff for my old boards even Albatron and Abit stuff.

I'm using an older board 2010 era Asus m3a78-em. Running a quad core 4 thread 940 on it with 8 gigs 800 mhz ram. Using a asus x 570 video card in it. Which has it's own 4 GB ddrr. It's good equipment but dated. I wish I could get windows 1909 to load instead of 2004. 2004 has a bunch of issues. That is what screwed up this computer so bad. It is showing three different user names and passwords for my license. Go figure out that one and we will both know wth...

Ha, found the dark theme! Now my eyes can rest in peace. Two pieces.

Problem with WinXP now, if not ever, even for those just trying to manage with the minimum, is the lack of a proper 64-bit version. Or so what I experienced. Many apps now come 64-bit only, let alone +4GB RAM. Chrome, AFAIK, does not officially support 64-bit OS's anymore. Perhaps even later 32-bit apps aren't WinXP ready too.

If I remember correctly, you can disable automatic updates in Win7. If true, just do that @Wallaby Dan . It's a good feature Win10 lacks. WIn7 is cool and a good jump from XP. Many later apps also still have Win7 on their requirements list but not XP in the most part.

Oh, I have an i5 750 from late 2009. This tells stories about the RAM and mobo too. Video card is a GTX 480 which is an early 2010 part. Win10 2004 worked just fine on it until I upgraded that build just two days ago with the i5 3570k I removed from my main computer for an i5 10600k (only mobo, CPU and RAM were the upgrade). Perhaps your newer build is giving you trouble because its on an AMD/ATI platform? My old beater is Intel/Nvidia. AFAIK, Intel and Nvidia have better and longer support than of AMD/ATI. But this is just a guess.

Last edited:
Funny thing, i still have my windows 10 1909 ISO on my PC and on a stick... I went to microsoft's website and now you can only download 2004, before you could download all the way back to 1606! (Stupid M$ removing earlier versions) You might still be able to find one if you browse around, let me see what i can find

Back
Top Bottom