Random Chit Chat

I guess the functions were there so only one card will serve as a video card for the pc while the rest will serve as ram.

I setup mining on a video card I had about 5-6 years ago. I don't remember what card it was but know that it certainly wasn't a top end card and wasn't designed with mining in mind. The mining software installed and ran OK but I figured it would probably take way too long to get a single coin, would have cost me more in electricity than the coin was worth so I shut it down.

I setup mining on a video card I had about 5-6 years ago. I don't remember what card it was but know that it certainly wasn't a top end card and wasn't designed with mining in mind. The mining software installed and ran OK but I figured it would probably take way too long to get a single coin, would have cost me more in electricity than the coin was worth so I shut it down.

That's what I'm saying. Back when mining was done on cards, the price of a Bitcoing must have been higher, otherwise mining on cards wouldn't have worked, because the amount of Bitcoins you got per Wh would've been too low to be worth it. Once mining hardware was developed, the price of Bitcoing shoul've gone down because now it's cheaper to mine.

Basically, the invention of mining hardware did nothing for the miner, other than forcing him/her to buy new equipment. What a wonderful world we live in.

Gaming video cards were never intentionally designed for mining, I believe. Price tag, power consumption and the amount and speed of VRAM decide their feasibility. Not sure about the GPU chipset. Even my now-in-storage 2012 GTX 680 4GB supported mining because it had 4GB VRAM as I found out.

Good minds would calculate the losses they could afford and get video cards within the right specs. Gaming video cards were cheaper than dedicated mining devices so they were the thing back then.

Electricity where I live was cheap back then so it was a good opportunity but I didn't risk it. This is life, don't hate ;)

Noticed the past tense above! I believe gaming video card mining crises stopped like 2 years ago.

Gaming video cards were never intentionally designed for mining, I believe. Price tag, power consumption and the amount and speed of VRAM decide their feasibility. Not sure about the GPU chipset. Even my now-in-storage 2012 GTX 680 4GB supported mining because it had 4GB VRAM as I found out.

Good minds would calculate the losses they could afford and get video cards within the right specs. Gaming video cards were cheaper than dedicated mining devices so they were the thing back then.

Electricity where I live was cheap back then so it was a good opportunity but I didn't risk it. This is life, don't hate ;)

Noticed the past tense above! I believe gaming video card mining crises stopped like 2 years ago.

You are missing the point. It's irrelevant what their intended use is. What matters is that it was the only way, so Bitcoin prices and/or the difficulty of the process were adjusted accordingly. The only thing that changed is that now you have to mine for longer, while using less power, but the energy consumption is the same (or the coins aren't as expensive). Otherwise, profits would've skyrocketed for those with mining hardware, and that's not what happened.

Did it used to be lucrative years ago when Bitcoin was in it's infancy?

I think so, that's why it became so popular. And that's when all the Instagram investment gurus made their fortunes. Or maybe they were just rich kids that bought a bunch of bitcoins and got lucky. I don't really know. It's so hard to get past all the BS surrounding that topic that I never bothered with it.

I never was interested in it at all. I'm just a po' boy.

Maybe I would've been interested if I believed there was a magical way to get rich. But, as they say, you are only winning if someone is losing. So, I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to lose enough to make me rich. I'll just stick to the proven methods of generating wealth, I guess. They are not perfect, and I probably won't be my own boss and generate so much passive income that I will spend my life from cruise to cruise, but I guess we are all just too dumb to see how easy it actually is. :rofl:

Boy, is my neck stiff today. I had injections on both sides of three vertebrae last Wed. Finally got tremendous relief as I was supposed to have this procedure last March. It got to my shoulders and upper back. Lotsa fun. :rolleyes:

Gonna take time to heal from the punctures of the needle. All from two holes in my neck, side by side. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom