Random Chit Chat

It's a Sammy Galaxy S5 Duos. On a side note: I even had an S3 not too long ago that unfortunately cracked on a fall. I think it's just the screen and it's too expensive to compare. Just a while back in early 2020 one banking software stopped supporting the S5. That's when I felt it really got comparatively old. No more Android version update for it since mid 2017. Still not gonna replace it yet. I can do my banking on computers. That's account management, mind you. Nothing fancy.

I just bought my first Xiaomi a couple of weeks ago and really like it, Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S. If you do decide to upgrade you might want to take a look at Samsung's M and A series (if you want to stick with Samsung). Even the lower end have big batteries and decent sized screens.

Backward compatibility often comes with a price. At some point it becomes necessary to drop support for outdated technology in order to move forward.

Often times people who don't know the details blame Microsoft when, in reality, it's because the company doesn't want to update the software/drivers in order to keep the old stuff viable. There's no money in it for them so they would rather sell you a new card.

Last edited:
It's a fact that nothing works forever (support wise). The point was that if Windows in general is better than the others, and it seems so. At least it can still run more older stuff in comparison even if outdated.

I just bought my first Xiaomi a couple of weeks ago and really like it, Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S. If you do decide to upgrade you might want to take a look at Samsung's M and A series (if you want to stick with Samsung). Even the lower end have big batteries and decent sized screens.

I don't think I'm upgrading any time soon. But it's good to collect information thru good advice :thumb:

The fact is they don't want you to keep stuff forever.

Still got that 8 track player? Where's the tapes? :rolleyes:

8-tracks were replaced with cassettes, not because of forced obsolescence but cassettes were superior in many ways. 8-tracks were a mechanical nightmare, lower audio quality, more expensive to produce, harder to self-record, bulkier to store, etc...

CDs replaced cassettes for many of the same reasons.

yep, 8 tracks were a nightware but Cassettes could be too. Cds were the correct way to listen to music. Then they came out with 2.0 and 3.0 usb sticks. Way better the sticks stay in the pocket and just plug into the car stereo and computer or like mine plug into the receiver 5.1 in the house

So when it comes to update and software support longevity in OS's (any kind including computers, tablets, phones, etc) MS Windows for computers is the best? I'm facing problem in this regard in my 9 year old tablet (support stopped in 2014) and 5 year old phone. My brother also is having trouble in fully running his 4 year old sound card on his new Mac OS.

I would say most Linux distributions are way more forgiving on older hardware than Windows. I feel this is because Linux often provides open-source, generic drivers that work on most hardware for those who own hardware that has little Linux support from vendors (because this is a widespread issue, not so much in Windows). So, for example, if Nvidia stopped developing drivers for my card I can still use the generic driver that is available in the the kernel.
Also, since Linux distros offer a bit more control, falling back to older drivers is much easier than in other operating systems.
On top of all that, the kernel can be compiled for virtually any platform. If MS won't provide an ARM version of Windows, you are scewed. If MS decides to drop support for 32-bit libraries, you are screwed. And so on.

Back
Top Bottom