Random Chit Chat

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Okay get this... someone I know worked in the US for years at a tech company, moved back to the UK and were told they can keep their US salary which is about 3x what that role is paid here. So they bought a nice big house etc, living the dream life. Then after about 6 months of living here the company changed their mind and said actually you can't keep your salary, and reverted him to the maximum he could earn for his grade in the UK. Which was still a great salary, but 1/3rd of his previous one nevertheless. Obviously he could no longer afford his home, so he had to sell up and all that crap. Well anyway long story short I just heard from him that he successfully sued them, and they settled out of court for loss of earnings, stress and a bunch of other shit, and the payout was good enough that he's now rebought his original house in cash with no mortgage.
Damn son.

kmanmx

Golden Master
My Audi is in for warranty work so I got an Audi A6 S-Line courtesy car. It has all the optional extras so I played around with them.

Electric seats with memory is cool, when you park the seat moves backwards to make getting out of the car easier. Then when you next get in it moves back into position.

360 camera is cool, pretty useful.

Self park scans the side of the road for suitable parking places and then auto parks for you. In theory. In reality I tried it on three quiet suburban roads with HUGE parking spaces like 20 meters long. It fails every time. Just smashes on the brakes midway through and beeps at me. Shrug. What a load of crap.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
My Audi is in for warranty work so I got an Audi A6 S-Line courtesy car. It has all the optional extras so I played around with them.

Electric seats with memory is cool, when you park the seat moves backwards to make getting out of the car easier. Then when you next get in it moves back into position.

360 camera is cool, pretty useful.

Self park scans the side of the road for suitable parking places and then auto parks for you. In theory. In reality I tried it on three quiet suburban roads with HUGE parking spaces like 20 meters long. It fails every time. Just smashes on the brakes midway through and beeps at me. Shrug. What a load of crap.
Well it's not a Tesla lol.

kmanmx

Golden Master
I rarely do DIY so whenever I do something it's often the first time i've done it. I have some decent kit like Milwaukee drill and so on but in terms of experience I don't have much. So anyway i'm fitting a new brass carpet trim in a doorway between the front door mat and living room carpet for my mom. The current one was loose and shitty and the carpet was fraying. God damn frayed carpet got caught in the drill bit and pulled like an inch and a half of carpet thread bear, and bent my screwdriver bit too.

Well that's a lesson learned. Not sure how a carpet fitter would have done it, cut the frayed bits off ? singe them ? tape them back ? idk. At least I didn't make the mistake in my own house lol.

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
Planning on buying a W140. And no it's not a rich man's car where I live, thanks to the market we have here. Running costs compare to a Camry's here if you get a low options model or decide to leave broken unnecessary options alone or remove them when dead. Well except for the MPG since it's a 1998. But I don't really go around that much and its MPG (3.2 inline-6 engine) is still similar to a modern natural aspiration V8 so kinda acceptable.

Ah, is the mobile RTX 3060 that bad? I see laptops with it for ~$1,000 USD or less. I know it's a stripped down desktop variant like other mobile Nvidia grafix but it can still run Elden Ring 60FPS and supports DLSS and RT. Got myself one actually. I don't need more than 1080p60 and I don't mind some reduced grafix configurations.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Planning on buying a W140. And no it's not a rich man's car where I live, thanks to the market we have here. Running costs compare to a Camry's here if you get a low options model or decide to leave broken unnecessary options alone or remove them when dead. Well except for the MPG since it's a 1998. But I don't really go around that much and its MPG (3.2 inline-6 engine) is still similar to a modern natural aspiration V8 so kinda acceptable.

Ah, is the mobile RTX 3060 that bad? I see laptops with it for ~$1,000 USD or less. I know it's a stripped down desktop variant like other mobile Nvidia grafix but it can still run Elden Ring 60FPS and supports DLSS and RT. Got myself one actually. I don't need more than 1080p60 and I don't mind some reduced grafix configurations.
Only mainly because they're in "lower end" laptops. Stuff sub 1,000 is IGP (AMD or Intel) or stuff like the 3050, 2060 etc.

Top Bottom